Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - The go faster thread: Stage 1
View Single Post
Old 04-27-2004, 12:17 AM   #1
mofocus
mefocuslongtime

Fan#: 5
What I Drive: Beltfed,extra pullified,weeemachine

FF Reputation: 6 mofocus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
The go faster thread: Stage 1

this thread is for those who want to learn to get alittle more oomph out of their focus, and to answer alot of the frequently asked questionson how to do so

The best way to start is to help your engine breathe easier, just like a marathon runner, your focus needs a good amount of air(both in and out) and fuel to keep it going, and the right amount of help can help it go faster
for starters we will discuss the air situation. The best way to get started modifying your focus is with intake and exhaust upgrades which we will discuss in this thread. each has been broken down into categories to help you w/ your choice in the right part for you

INTAKES
there are several types and styles of intakes, intakes are probably the easiest mod to do and require very little mechanical knowledge and skill to install. Each type/style/brand has its own pros and cons. The two styles we will discuss are

Short Ram
these are intakes which usually consist of a replacement metal tubing and filter, the box and snorkel are no longer utilized for this setup, these are one of if not the cheapest systems. These systems draw air from under the hood and inside the engine bay, creating a slight loss of gains in temperate weather, the difference is noticable in hot weatherd climates where the diferences in power during night time driving and daytime driving are just that.

some short ram intakes are

ZETEC
AEM: reputable company w/ decent quality parts, a few different generations are on the used parts market, some which use the stock MAF housing(older) and those that dont, the (older) tend to fit more adequately

NEW EDGE PERFORMANCE
HOW TO INSTALL
BOMZ: cheap ebay intake, advise to stay away from such products
MAC: cheap and good, these intakes offer a good build quality for low budget tuners

MY FORD PERFORMANCE (BLUE)
MY FORD PERFORMANCE (SILVER)
MY FORD PERFORMANCE (RED)
HOW TO INTSALL

STEEDA: overpriced MAC

STEEDAFOCUS

FocusSport: pretty much just a highflow filter and heat shield
NEW EDGE PERFORMANCE
K&N
MAD PERFORMANCE

SVT
AEM