Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - Car stalls when making a turn...
View Single Post
Old 05-01-2007, 07:19 PM   #1
soapy
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 6011
What I Drive: 2003 Red SVT

FF Reputation: 1 soapy Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Car stalls when making a turn...

I have a 2003 SVT Focus and I have read over the past few years that there have been certain electrical problems with the SVT focus. I got my computer re-flashed, done everything they could think of, but once in awhile, with a cold engine, I will be making a turn at 25-30mph and my engine will just stall.

In the event that it doesn't stall, my battery light blinks on and it starts to shudder. At first I thought it might have been me, since I was just learning how to drive stick. But it didn't make sense that my car would be moving and it would just DIE. My steering wheel would lock up and I'd be drifting the rest of the way through the turn and have to restart my car, as I'm moving.

Of course I bring it to Ford, and they think I'm making it up. They gave me a recording device where I needed to replicate the issue. The thing is, this only happened on my way back from work if I manage to hit all the green lights. I need to go fast enough to reach about 40mph, then downshift from 3rd to 2nd is when it happens. If I can't get fast enough, or if I end up stopping at a red light, it won't do it again once the engine's warm.

So this makes it very hard to duplicate with a technician in the car. I managed to get the battery light to flicker, and of course the guy didn't even bother looking.

There was no way I was going to keep a car that stalls once every few weeks (when I'm lucky enough to hit all greens), even if it is rare, that's just not going to happen. We went through the process with a lawyer to lemon the car. It's been a year. Ford keeps pushing it back on us saying that they don't see how this is a 'safety' issue, just an electrical one that's been documented. At this rate, we are going to need to wait even longer to meet with a mediator, then file a civil suit if they still refuse to refund our money.

Ford is purposely doing this to make things difficult. At first they rejected our claim, we had to sue, then they settled, and now they want to have a mediator look at it. I really liked my car, I would have kept it until it died on its own (hopefully at like 120k miles) but this is just not acceptable. Has anyone else ever had to deal with anything like this?

I'm pretty annoyed with Ford, and because of this, I really won't buy another Ford again. My family has owned 7 or 8 Ford vehicles over the years, this is just inexcusable.