Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - Cheap(er) Autox Tires
View Single Post
Old 04-27-2007, 12:42 PM   #2
WeeAsp
Resident Curmudgeon

Fan#: 42718
What I Drive: 2002 RED SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 175 WeeAsp Excellent Standing MemberWeeAsp Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik508 View Post
So I sold my miata and am planning to autox the focus this year. It's an '02 ZTS. I had R's for the miata, and REALLY liked them. However, I'm a casual auto-crosser, just in it for some fun- not sure I like the expense of new R's every couple of years. 16" V710s are $200 a piece!

However, tires add so much to the autox experience, I need to do something. I was thinking about some RT-615s, possibly dropping to a 15" wheel size. Any problems with dropping a size? Would I be crazy to try and run RT-615s on steelies? Any comments/advice?

I don't care about classing, I plan to ignore the timing board this season ;-)
I would advise against it. In all liklihood, you wouldn't make it through tech either.

The best bang for the buck IMHO is the Toyo Proxes RA1. 15's run anywhere from the $120 - $160 range.

I ran them for years before switching to Hoosier.

You could easily get 3 seasons on a set. The downside is that they tend to "slide and grab". So, you would have to adjust your driving style a little over the V710.

You may also want to check eBay. A lot of folks will post scuffs for sale, but I think you would have trouble finding a 15 inch tire.

Good luck!

"I live with fear every day and sometimes, she lets me race."

2002 SVT Focus... Stock