Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - TRACK: Oh The Horror !!!!!!
View Single Post
Old 04-24-2007, 11:38 AM   #25
WeeAsp
Resident Curmudgeon

Fan#: 42718
What I Drive: 2002 RED SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 175 WeeAsp Excellent Standing MemberWeeAsp Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tua03332 View Post
IMO it seems everybody is putting way too much thought into this thing. Course design was acceptable, the possible experience of the driver was acceptable, therefore there wasn't any red flags before the accident. Basically if you miss the break pedal when you should be doing a firm stop, of course its not gonna end bad. Its not saftey steward nor drivers fault, things happen especially in an unfamilar car. No one is to blame because no one could have forseen this and then said, hey guys theres gonna be an accident soon, lets try and prevent it now
Tua-

I respect your opinion, but I have to disagree to a certain extent.

It does warrant discussion and thought, because to your point, stuff happens.

A lot of us AX and attend track events and would like to continue to do so. Examples like the one I posted represents a possible threat to that enjoyment. Everything from insurance to warranties to participation. I want to emphasize again that this is a RARE occurence, but the knee jerk reaction is to blame the activity. I think we are all in agreement that to do that would be a mistake.

I go back to my original request. This was an SCCA event in the Northwest. If anyone on this forum was there and can provide additional detail, I would appreciate it as I wasn't there. So, a lot of questions are unanswered. We can all learn from it.

That said, regardless of the circumstance, some responsibility does lie with the safety steward. Be it an issue of course design or by allowing a novice or non-participant drive the course, he and his/her team needed to be vigillant.

I do agree with you that there are elements that are beyond control of even the steward which is why you take as many precautions as possible. The worst incidents that I've ever seen either resulted from driver error or in mechanical failure. The first of which was a car where the driver overshot a gate at speed, over corrected and went sideways over railroad tracks. Lots of damage to the car that resulted from driver error. The second was a tie rod broke on an MG and he went head first into a light pole squashing the car and the driver broke his nose on the steering wheel. To add insult to injury, the military police (this was at Cameron Station in Alexandria, VA) wrote him a ticket for hitting an imovable object. The third was also driver error where an IDIOT was doing a burnouts in the paddock area. Before the organizers could get there to throw him out, he managed to impale his brand new CLK 420 on a concrete abutment. Finally, a minor incident where another Benz (E55) over corrected and went over a curb 60 feet from the gate. In each instance (except the idiot) all were experienced drivers.

So, I accept that you can't account for all circumstances. Still, that's why we have insurance and move on. You have to accept that an incident is a possibility, but the safety steward MUST accept some responsibility. Otherwise, we don't need or shouldn't have them.

"I live with fear every day and sometimes, she lets me race."

2002 SVT Focus... Stock