Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - How to EBAY PROJECTOR HID INSTALL 56k should be banned
View Single Post
Old 04-19-2007, 05:49 AM   #29
iced_theater
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 27026
What I Drive: 2005 CD Silver ZX3

FF Reputation: 2 iced_theater Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I have my camera set to manual mode so that it doesn't compensate for the different amount of light. I tried to take the pictures so they are fairly accurate.

The beam is much more diffuse than the stock halogen bulbs are. They do produce more glare but I've only been flashed by lifted pickups and semi's, and rarely at that.

The HID bulbs are of 4300K, and my fogs are H9 bulbs instead of H11's. An H11 bulb is 50 watts and produces about 1200 lumens, the H9 is 65 watts and produces about 2100 lumens.

HID only

fogs only

both

control shot, street light only

fogs only

both

This shot is to show the beam pattern and glare only, it is nowhere near accurate in terms of output.

As can be seen in the photos, it does have glare and doesn't have a fairly distinct cutoff at all. If these burn out, I might attempt a retrofit instead to have much better light control. Or I might go and trade my Focus in on a Mazda with HID's. :P

Well, I went and traded the Focus for a Mazda 3. It's many times better than the Ford was. I've taken a few pictures of the HID's so it's a direct comparison to my old Focus with HID's.

Mazda 3 with fogs and with the HID's at the lowest setting.

Mazda 3 with fogs and with the HID's at the normal setting.

Mazda 3 with HID's at the normal setting and the high beams on.

Against the garage to show the cutoff

Last edited by iced_theater; 04-24-2007 at 06:21 AM.