Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - Camera Mount!
Thread: Camera Mount!
View Single Post
Old 04-14-2007, 11:04 AM   #1
Birdman2007
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 38169
What I Drive: 2007 CD Silver ZX5 SES MTX

FF Reputation: 1 Birdman2007 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Camera Mount!

Ok so within the past few months I decided to make my own in-car camera mount for my Sony DV cam. After doing a little bit of research on the net I came up with my own unique blend of herbs and spices to create what I think is a solid(and safe) mount to use for Auto-x(or any other race type situation), with very little effort!
So without further delay I give you my Mount!

I started with a 3/4 square aluminum tube. Measured from pole center to pole center, I used 3/8" U clamps normally used to make loops in aircraft cable. they just happend to be the right inside diameter to fit around the poles. Found my center and began drilling.

Turned out to have enough play to not wobble around any and still give a little. This is the one side.

And the back side. 3/8" nuts and washers.

Newly mounted bar.

And of course finished product.

I went first to a camera shop to buy an actual tripod top thingy, and bought one i thought would work for about 37 bucks, then after a trip to Sportsmans warehouse with Scott I discovered one that would work even better for about 30 bucks and thats the one you see in the pics. So I think all in all it cost me about 40 bucks to build and is as solid as they come. I plan on next cleaning it up sanding it a little and putting a "Hammered Finish" black spray paint that will match the interior nicely as to not look unsightly!

Let me know what you think!
Thanks for looking!