Advice on rally car build
Hello Focus Fanatics!~
I've came across Ford Focus while I was looking to replace my '95 Buick Regal sedan. I have a pretty ok job and have saved up 3k, and I wanted to be part of the rapidly growing car/tuner/motorsport culture. At first, I thought Ford Focus was a nice affordable commuter car, then I was visited by eye-popping pictures of WRC Ford Focus in google image search. I've always been a HUGE fan of the rally motorsport, and was a fan of both WRX STi and Evo (until I started seeing them everywhere-I live in Irvine, CA).
Growing up in America where motorsport = cars who simulate morning traffic in fastforward (nascar) and in California with Initial-D posers who thinks slapping on a body kit + decal means you can drift up and down some obscure mountain roads, I'm severely deprived of factual knowledges about cars. After searching through some topics and reading around, the FF community felt very friendly and knowledgeable. I hope to ask for gentle guidance.
I'm very attracted to the Ford Focus because of rave reviews on its fantastic handling, the fact that it competes in the WRC, and how great the WRC Ford Foci looks.
- What would be the car to pursue purchase if I was to build a machine that would mimic the performance of WRC Focus? I've read that Foci with Zetec engines perform well, which recent zx3 models have, from previous post I found while searching for Focus buying tips. I've also read on the same thread that 2.3 Duratec also performs well. I'm having hard time trying to understand how these engines differ.
- I've read from another post that there are body kits of WRC Focus and aftermarket modifications that would allow a production Focus to perform just about as well as WRC Focus (most likely the poster meant relatively/realistically, but not exactly as the WRC). Where can I read more information about the above?
- I see that Ford Focus zx3 comes in S, SE, SES trim levels. Does it refer to Focus' body type?
When I watch some of the POV (point of view) of rally cars in action, it makes my bunghole tighten up in elated tension as if I was looking straight down over the safety rails of 100 story building. The speeds at which these drivers and car travel the gravel/mud/snow/concrete/dirt is incredibly amazing. I would like to have a similar experience as the rally drivers I see.
- What are other production cars available in U.S. that are good start out with participating in local rally events?
- Where can I go about finding and participating in the local rally events? (I don't even know what local rally events look like, I only remember seeing on some car oriented TV program showing a local rally club that runs through a course marked with orange road cones on mud, once.)
I know within these forums exists answers to all my queries, but I wanted personally converse with the FF community that I admire :D
Thank you for reading my post.