Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - "How To" - Clutch Master Cylinder Replacement
View Single Post
Old 12-09-2006, 03:07 PM   #21
kettle-one
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 22664
What I Drive: Magnum R/T for sale

FF Reputation: 1 kettle-one Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kettle-one View Post
Anyone know what size Gear Wrenches to buy to help make this go easier, I'll be doing my clutch master this weekend and would like to have everything I need ready.

Thanks,
I answered my own question, its a 10mm, but you can do it without a Gearwrench. Some things I did different is after you pull the hydraulic lines and bolt on the fire wall, I removed the 3 colored sensors on the brake and clutch pedal, they rotate and then pull out, they are keyed, and the other black clutch sensor, it had a tab on the back of it you lift and it comes off. I removed the white plastic plug on the brake pedal to the brake master cylinder rod, it has a barb you push up with a screwdriver and it slides out, I found that my plug would rotate so you could see the barb. There after I removed the 4 nuts (13mm deep socket and wobble head 12" extension and got them all out easily) that hold the pedal box assembly to the fire wall and pulled it out as one unit and replaced the clutch master cylinder outside of the car. The two bolts that hold the clutch master to the pedal box self tap into the plastic on the clutch master. Also, there are two tabs that lock the master cylinder to the pedal box prior to bolting it up. Then I reinstalled the pedal box and rest in reverse order. It took me 2 hours not knowing what to do with out bleeding. This was the easiest way for me to do it and it took about 15 min to put all back together. One note, make sure as you install the bottom line, it lined up with the grommet for the bracket and the inlet fitting, otherwise its a pain to disassemble and redo, don't ask me how I know. Also, to keep the top line from spilling fluid all over, I lifted the line above the reservoir and let the end rest on the cowl, be careful not to bend the line too much or it will break.