Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - Alternator Clip "How-To"...
View Single Post
Old 11-30-2006, 10:18 PM   #8
Aqua12632
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 41244
What I Drive: 2002 Blue Focus SVT

FF Reputation: 1 Aqua12632 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Thumbs up Thanks!

Nice man great post - helped me to resolve a slightly different issue which actually caused the power to spike sometimes and dim other times (sometimes flickering). At first, when i took everything apart, i found that the center wire on the connector had broken out, so i attempted to repair the connector. afterwards, the issue was still there, although slightly less severely - most of my friends (and even a ford dealership) told me not to worry about it - and i wasnt too worried about it until one night it burnt out one of my headlights - after that i did some more research on the issue and came across this post - Thanks man - fixed my issue the same way (and replaced the alternator with higher performance model, although now i know the old one still works)

symptoms i noticed
-flickering power / power spikes (15-20% brighter) with headlights and interior lights (specifically on hard accel)
-battery light coming on and off while driving, sometimes it stayed on
-"clicking" noise coming from underneath the dashboard (sounds like a relay)
-alternator tested while problem existed (@2k RPM) ~25 Amps/12V
-tested voltage during power spike (reached 15V-16V at battery)

...hope this additional information can help someone else

btw : if anyone is interested in an OEM alternator - i am interested in selling, or possibly trading for other focus parts (anyone have an extra SVT IMRC )