Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - How To: Drilling Out Ignition Cylinder Due To Key Won't Turn (Ford Focus ignition lock cylinder)
View Single Post
Old 11-25-2006, 01:18 AM   #26
edslock
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 41345
FF Reputation: 1 edslock Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Hello, this is my first post in this forum . I was looking into oiling issue on a cougar 2.5 (spun rod bearing) when I ran across this thread. I am a locksmith and owner since 1969 and I can tell you there has been a lot of trouble with Focus ign locks. These same locks are also used on Expedition I think. Its Friday after Thanksgiving and Mr Crown and Coke may affect my memory . Anyways, car makers are so stupid , they have designs that work great for years and then scrap that for a new design made cheap from whoknows where. Briggs & Stratton has made OEM locks for Ford and most others since day one and you never hear about a problem , but for whatever reason car makers will get these crappy locks made by ??? and put them on new cars. Then after "problems" they get B&S to fix it for them. Yes that is what I'm getting at, the replacement locks are made by Strattec. The original locks fail because someone tries to pull the key out in a posiition not intended for it to come out and the tumblers get bent because they are so puny and the sloppy housing. Once they are bent , the lock may seem to work fine and then BAM no workie. At some point ALL of them will fail, but there is a plus. If you drill them out you still have to have the transponder key to start the car. This is where a locksmith comes in, if the lock is toast it can be replaced and a new lock keyed to match your original key so you dont have to buy another expensive key. Now I got to say I dont represent B&S or anyone other than myself but if you have this problem you should at least contact your locksmith on this, you may be suprised.