Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - Alternator Clip "How-To"...
View Single Post
Old 11-20-2006, 01:09 AM   #1
SVTFucus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 23680
What I Drive: 2002 Pitch Black SVT

FF Reputation: 1 SVTFucus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Alternator Clip "How-To"...

This Friday I decided to find out what was causing my electrical problems. The problems leading up this were:
-flickeing headlights and interior lights
-battery light coming on and off while driving
-"clicking" noise coming from underneath the dashboard

I had read many threads from various boards from buying grounding kits to replacing the alternator clip to correct this problem. Upon closer inspection I noticed that one of my wires had come out of the clip to the alternator, with hope that this was causing ALL of the above symptoms. I bought a new "wiring pigtail kit" from ford and followed the instructions to install it. Below are the pictures(still need to take some more pictures) showing the broken wire, the kit, the butt connectors I used to wire the new clip in place of the old one and the final result.

Sep-2010 Update:
Detailed instructions from FF member CaysE
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaysE View Post
Remove the negative battery terminal connection.
Unplug the 3 or 4 connectors that are in the way.
Unplug the vaccuum line that's in the way (fuel pressure sensor?).
Unplug the 3-wire alternator connector. Remove the electrical tape and pull back the wire loom. You should see one wire has a fusible link on it.
Unlatch the main wiring harness from the firewall. You have to pop the harness out of 2 or 3 clips. This lets you pull the harness higher up so it's easier to solder.
Cut the 3 wires behind the fusible link (about halfway to the main harness). KEEP THE CONNECTOR! The replacement part does NOT have color coded wiring!
Keeping note of which wire goes where, cut the new plug's wiring to length, strip the ends, solder, and heatshrink.
Re-mount the main harness, plug everything back in, and you're good to go!
Sep-2010 Update:
Stay tuned for new pics.

Broken wire:

What the packaging looks like of the kit:

What the kit consists of(new clip, 3 wire connectors, 3 heat shrink tubes):

The butt connectors I used to connect the new wires of the clip, to the wires leading to the old clip:

I will have more of the wires connected, and then of the heat shrink wrapped around the connectors and wires. Just thought I'd show everyone how it looked. Total time it took to install was about 30 minutes.

Also, the clip can be removed from the alternator by using a small flat head screwdriver and sliding the clip off the bracket.

#2852 of 4788

1997 White SVT Cobra....sure...it's all stock!!!
#4408 of 6971

Last edited by WD40; 09-21-2010 at 11:15 AM.