Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - Shifting an auto?
View Single Post
Old 09-19-2006, 10:07 PM   #41
dchoward1977
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 16096
What I Drive: 2000 Cloud 9 White Focus LX sedan

FF Reputation: 1 dchoward1977 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Sigh...Everybody's so hard on the poor old SPI engine. So what if it's only single cam and 8 valves...it pumps out almost as much peak torque as the Zetec AND at lower RPM's. Not the worst engine in the world.... The Crap-O-Matic transmisstion IS about the most sluggish, dim-witted automatic I've had the displeasure of experiencing, though. Doesn't want to kick down unless you mash the pedal through the floor, then constantly hunts between 4th and O/D the rest of the time. Been dying to swap out this pox of a transmission ever since I got mine. For a transmission that's supposedly able to "learn" your driving style (Fuzzy Logic and all that nonsense) it sure seems like it's half-retarded most of the time. Apparently they're not very long lived either, mine has 60,000 miles on it and it does this weird "I don't wanna shift outta second right now" thing every now and then. Just hangs on to second gear randomly for longer than it should. I worry it may die on me in the near future. Die Crap-O-Matic, die. So's I can swap me in an IB5.

"My third gear went out. I put a new one in but the car didn't like it so it didn't use it."--My idiot neighbor