Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - September 17th Auto-X in Eastlake, OH
View Single Post
Old 09-19-2006, 09:01 AM   #9
Carrera26
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 12237
What I Drive: 2005 Mazda3 2.3/2003 VW Passat GLX

FF Reputation: 2 Carrera26 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
^^^It's all about keeping your eyes up, man. If you are looking ahead like you should, then no corner has the ability to surprise you. Have faith in your peripheral vision and your body's ability to execute turns while you aren't looking right at them. If you have set yourself up correctly by the time you get to the turn, then you'll naturally do the right thing withought having to devote much thought to it.

It really is the hardest lesson to learn in racing, but by far the most effective.

Start training yourself in street driving. You already do it more than you realize, but are so much more comfortable on the street that you don't notice. But make a concious effort in the days before the next event to keep your eyes up, looking through and not at the turns you make.
This is especially easy to start on on-ramps, where you can know for sure that there aren't any surprises. Try to pick out the changes in surface, curve, and camber in the road far enough ahead that you can easily adjust yourself to best exploit them. Wherever you can, try to take the best racing, SIFO line. You can definitely do this AND be a safe/legal driver.

I certainly don't just show up at the AutoX and bust out a treasure chest of skillz (I know, just HAD to do the z there) and start driving totally differently. I drive on the street just like I do at the event, only with a much more conservative safety margin and (usually) a fair bit slower. But that doesn't make consiously picking my lines and looking ahead the least bit different. In fact, it actually makes me a safer driver as I have easily avoided a few things that could have been much more serious had I not identified them early and adjusted to compensate (deer a couple times...)
Don't waste another minute waiting on parts, or anything else. Just get out there and start racing! You will suck at first, and you will be slower than many other cars, but the only thing you will regret is not starting earlier...