Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - Long Crank/Hard Start 2.0L And 2.3L Engine With MTX-75 Transaxle Bulletin
View Single Post
Old 08-23-2006, 08:47 AM   #72
bacarl
Focus Addict

Fan#: 31588
What I Drive: 05 InfraRed ST-T

FF Reputation: 5 bacarl Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (11)
Quote:
Originally posted by shawn_carter69
I can't see how. You're not actually cranking the starter over, and pos 2 (if you mean the second click) is where the key sits during normal operation anyways. If you mean the second position as in the first click then it's just accessory power.
I think he meant that a long crank would affect starter life. I wouldn't worry about it because the starter only works for a few extra seconds each time that it happens, and it doesn't even happen that often. I suppose that maybe you'd lose 1 or 2 starts off the life of the starter but you'll never notice it. Starters are built to cycle hundreds of thousands of times.

On topic, I had the hard start issue early in my car's life, had the PCM reprogram, along with a new mass airflow sensor, and the issue was all but completely resolved. Maybe once a month at the very most the car is a little stubborn starting, but not as bad as it was a year ago. I've never felt the cruising-speed stutter so maybe my original PCM reprogram resolved that issue.