svtguy88
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 13476
What I Drive: 2003 Infra Red SVT

FF Reputation: 17 svtguy88 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Quote:
Originally posted by Saber63
well i must diasagre, if you shift in the low RPM range, you will hurt your MPG and your enige, why? simple, look at a dyno chart, you have half(or less) HP and tourque at 1.5-3k rpm(this is where my cars shift light comes on) which this means, your enige will have to work harder to acelarate, gas milage is soly based on the amount of fuel the engine burns, nothing more. so if you shift at low rpms, to get any sort of acel, you must give the car a fare amount of gas, and also for a longer time
This is what I was trying to mention in the post above, but couldn't figure out a way to explain it correctly. You are right, if you are going 20 mph in fifth gear, then flog it up to 70 mph, your gas mileage will be much worse than if you go through the gears. What I meant to say in my post, was that if you, instead of giving it more gas, use the same amount of throttle as you do when you shift at the shift light (and can deal with having less acceleration), your gas mileage will go up. That is one confusing sentance...I hope it makes a little bit of sense.