Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - TRACK: My first auto x, I beat a porsche!
View Single Post
Old 07-31-2006, 10:39 AM   #22
Carrera26
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 12237
What I Drive: 2005 Mazda3 2.3/2003 VW Passat GLX

FF Reputation: 2 Carrera26 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
^^^Yeah, autocross, or "Gymkhana" as it's called elsewhere, just isn't as popular elsewhere as the rest of the world seems to have so much more access to rally and road courses...

Thanks for the shout-outs from everyone. It just lifts my spirits to see other drivers out there finding out just how much fun they can have in their car. My quote to people is typically, "The most fun you can have with your clothes on". I'm so darn enthusiastic that I just like spreading the word. If I get on the Board of Directors for my region next year as SOLO director, I think that we'll be doing quite a bit more local promotion and cheap marketing.

DEFINITELY don't wait for mods. In fact, it's really the other way around. If you hold off on the mods until you have some racing experience under your belt, you'll have a much better idea on what the car actually needs! Not to mention that you'll learn to carry as much speed as possible with lower power and grip. Once you can be fast in a "slow" car, then you'll be that much faster in everything.

For anyone who is looking for a local event, it's as easy as Googleing "-Insert your town/area here- Autocross/SCCA", or of course by clicking on the links in my sig to find an event.

3 weeks till the next event... and I'm already starting to get the shakes!
Don't waste another minute waiting on parts, or anything else. Just get out there and start racing! You will suck at first, and you will be slower than many other cars, but the only thing you will regret is not starting earlier...