Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - "How-to" for start button
View Single Post
Old 07-23-2006, 11:25 AM   #66
Djmike2485

Fan#: 3230
What I Drive: Silver 2000 Ford Focus Zetec 4 Dr.

FF Reputation: 6 Djmike2485 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
This seems like a pretty simple installation. However, whatever I touch, must turn complicated (By general rule). I have thought this mod out and now am forced to see what ppl think of it, whether it seems too difficult and the like. Here goes:
I want a push to start button; but I also want the security of a key. I will wire a 3 position toggle switch (on-off-on) under the dash. One side of the switch will be the original ignition system. The other side will be directed to the push button.
Before that lead is directed to the push button, it will be connected to a standard key switch (off-on). Then, it will be routed to the push button.
Now, in order for this to work, either, the key must be in the ignition (which kind of defeats the purpose) or a programmed chip must be within a 1/2" of the cylinder (under the shroud obviously). I don't know how the original toggle switch will act with the chip. The only reason I thought about another switch is for other ppl, such as my father, who will want to use the conventional way of starting.
If any of you see any problems or have any thoughts, please give me your input. This mod will probably not take place till summer 2007 as tomorrow, I must shell out $400 for an evaporator core replacement. Thanks for the great write up!