Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - Heat or am I just really slow?!
View Single Post
Old 07-21-2006, 06:21 PM   #18
Deesnuts
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 11148
What I Drive: 02 ZX3 zetec 5spd

FF Reputation: 4 Deesnuts Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
With the ATX tire pressure is not as big an issue as with the stick. The main thing have someone watch you launch and see if the tires are spinning at all. You want to try to launch by torque braking the car at as high an rpm as you can hold without rolling foward. If you spin the tires lower you're pressure 2 or 3 psi and try again. A good launch can shave as much as two seconds off you're time in the 1/4. With a stick its easy to launch at 4000+ rpm but most ATX will only hold at 1800 or so. If you have to leave at that low an rpm it is often better to not floor the gas right away or the motor will bog. Gradually increasing the gas (at a very quick pace) will let the motor turn up faster than bogging it by flooring the gas. The most important thing with getting good et's is practice. I have been drag racing on four wheels and two wheels for 18 years and it still takes several passes (or a long afternoon on a backroad) to get a new ride to launch well.