Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - “How To”-Getrag Shift Linkage-Counterweight Removal
View Single Post
Old 06-21-2006, 09:52 PM   #41
SVT Robzor
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 26230
What I Drive: 2004 CD Silver SVT

FF Reputation: 5 SVT Robzor Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
I did this some time ago. Overall I'm very pleased with the results, but I can see why Ford added it. The gate effort remains close to the same as it was, just the effort from gate to gate is much much less. The result was, in my mind, a lighter but more notchy shifter. Also, the extra inertia seemed to be hiding a slightly, ragged, or perhaps harsh feeling to the action. The latter was diminished when I switched the tranny fluid to RP. I'd personally recomment the RP fluid swap as well, especially when doing this.

Now, this isnt quick jacking the thread since we are talking about linkages. The only thing keeping my shifter from the next level of perfection is a bit of play in the horizontal shift linkage. In a gate, or anywhere else, I can move the stick maybe 5/8" horizontally before the linkage gets any force applied to it. Just feels loose and sloppy inside that bracket. Vertically it is snug; Has anybody else experienced this, or more importantly, fixed it? While I was in there I tried to see if it was a problem where they attach, and it didnt seem to be. I popped up the shift boot and I'd guess its where the cables mount on my STS. Previous owner did that before I got to the car, so I dont know how it went together or if he did something wrong. Does anyone suppose the problem is there?