Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - Went to the drag strip for the first time!
View Single Post
Old 06-21-2006, 10:34 AM   #32
firemanfrank
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 5254
What I Drive: n/a

FF Reputation: 1 firemanfrank Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Quote:
Originally posted by Auto0utcast
... powershifting isnt healthy either. will it improve track times.. without a doubt, but i dont want every 17 and 18 yr old kid that reads "powershift your car at the strip" to go out and try it, ruin their vehicle and be out of a ride because of it.
True. SO IF AT ALL POSSIBLE ...

When learning how to powershift, one should practice doing it on a vehicle that already has a trannie that's "on it's way out", or is "in need of repair/replacement". LOL

Me? I didn't have that luxury, so when I wanted to learn how to powershift some 20 years ago, I had to do it on a good trannie.

It was scary!

Quote:
... for that extra tenth or 2 ill just shift rather quickly while removing my foot from the gas for that split second and have a lil more peace of mind.
Yup. Powershifting will gain someone a 1/10 or two in the 1/4 mile, so each individual person has to weigh out the plus/minuses of doing it.

But I gotta tell 'ya something though, because I've been doing it for so long, that if I'm racing through the gears I would have to plan ahead NOT TO DO IT.

Otherwise, it just comes naturally for me now.

Quote:
some cars have better built drivetrains than others...
You're on a roll here A/O. Correct again! Different cars have different abilities as far as what their trannies can handle.

I remember when I was racing 5 liter Mustangs, that I eventually had to buy an aftermarket "beefed up" Borg Warner trannie. This was because the stock B/W trannie's torque rating limits were WAY too close to the amount of torque that my car was actually putting out.

Quote:
... the focus mtx75 isnt going to hold up to that kind of abuse at the dragstrip for very long.
Is that the same trannie that's in my ST Travis?

Man, I hope not ...