Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - Went to the drag strip for the first time!
View Single Post
Old 06-21-2006, 04:03 AM   #28
HalfTime
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 33093
What I Drive: '03 S/C SVTF, '00 SVTL

FF Reputation: 1 HalfTime Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I've bean drag racing saince I was 14, building circle track cars with my father saince I can remember, and let me tell you, powershifting a few times on a weekend down the strip is gonna be the least of your worries when your a drag racer. I do not think that some kid in a Civec cruising down the hwy should be powershifting. That would be just stuipid. Racing in general is not healthy for vehicals. It takes time, money, and skill. But not once have I ever lost a tranny because of powershifting. The hardest thing you can do to a drivetrain is launch high rpms with slicks. You tell me that powershifting will break your tranny? I say it'll cause more ware on your clutch, and tranny over time. Just as much damage as shifting hard and fast. I've broke more parts launching with slicks then any other thing raceing. (Cept throughing a rod or two on some old carburated motor circle track cars not dialed in the Air/Fuel.) But hey, if you don't wanna powershift, then don't. Oh well, wont hurt anyones feelings. After all, it's your money, your vehical, your time slip. But again, if you don't know what your talking about, keep your fingers off the key board, and learn a thing or two. And next time you think that powershifting is driving like a jackass, google it. powershifting takes skill to do properly, and serious racers that take advantage of everything to net the best time... well, what ever, do what you want.