Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - Went to the drag strip for the first time!
View Single Post
Old 06-21-2006, 12:49 AM   #27
Auto0utcast
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 10652
What I Drive: 2003 gutted zx3

FF Reputation: 1 Auto0utcast Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally posted by HalfTime
Some one you guys really are clueless on drag racing, and thier for should not make any comments to some one who has a question about drag racing unless you know what the your talking about.

Powershifting will save you tenths in the 1/4 mile, and by no means are you at risk of blowing your motor. Thier is a rev limiter, and it is thier for a reason. But if your stupid enough, and bounce of the limiter during a shift, the wrose thing that'll happen is 1) your gonna run some shitty times, 2) your gonna foul out your plugs. I don't care who you are, or how fast you shift, just because you can chirp the tires during a shift, does not mean that you are some sort of crazy fast shifter. A powershift is ment to keep your rpms up, and once the clutch re-egages, it "shocks" the drivetrain, like adding 20 more whp for a split second. The ONLY downside to powershifting is 1) takes practice to do it right, and 2) rips through clutches much faster then normal. That's why it;'s for racing, not for getting groceries.
you may not pop a motor but the internals of the mtx75 DO NOT like powershifting. i say this because ive blown the trans twice (yes its a standard). sheared the roll pin both times and the 2nd time i broke the welds on the birdcage for lack of a better term... the actual shift fingers that select gears i broke a weld... both times it happened on the 2-3 shift. you are correct it will chew up clutches, but think of this... that extra strain on the drivetrain goes somewhere... if and when the clutch grabs the internals of the transmission take that extra strain... are you willing to shell out nearly 2600$ for a rebuild every time u blow a tranny from driving like a jackass? im not in a big hurry to again.
MODS: svt header kit, RT 2.5" cat, FS flex, 2.5" trubendz Borla, FR wires, SCT chip, AEM short ram, spec stg 3, vf dogbone, h&r springs, brembo x-drilled and slotted rotors, hawk hp+ pads, oh and shes on a diet...
117hp 134tq - dynapack dyno www.synapsemotorsport.com
15.567 @ 86.51 Lebanon Valley Dragway