Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - This Is Why Street Racing Should Be Illegal
View Single Post
Old 05-29-2006, 06:25 PM   #31
SpeedOften
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 2139
What I Drive: E90 335i, 2002 E53 X5 4.4i

FF Reputation: 28 SpeedOften Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:
Originally posted by Carrera26
^^Very good comments...

My $.02 on street racing comes down to 2 factors, both of which trump speeding on your own as far as danger to yourself and others.

When you are racing somebody, you will find yourself caught up in competing and doing things that you would never do if you were just trying to drive fast on your own. Just by dint of racing instead of speeding, common sense starts to take a back seat to winning. Anyone who has really raced will know all about how much the "Red Mist" can cloud your thinking.

Secondly, you are dealing with an unknown and uncontrollable factor, which is the other car. Seeing as the majority of the time it's somebody who you do not know but is eager to prove themselves, how can you possibly put your trust in their judgement and skill? It doesn't matter if you're friggin Schumacher himself, you can't control that other person's actions. And though you cannot control them, you are responsible for them both legally and morally.

I definitely agree with you but I had two instances last night in relatively heavy traffic where an Acura TL (2.4) and then later a Dodge Inrtepid R/T were trying to race me when I had my cruise control on at 80mph.. They were acting like a$$hats by falling back and then flooring it up to 95-100mph and then slamming on their brakes right before they run into the bumper of the car in front of them. So I jumped in the HOV lane and got away from them b/c I didn't want to be behind them if they failed to stop in time.

There are times when street racing can be safe, and then there are times when people with no common sense at all will try it when they shouldn't be thinking about it at all...