Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - Focus Competition Tires: Info, Links, and Reviews
View Single Post
Old 05-23-2006, 03:14 AM   #8
thenorm
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 14947
What I Drive: '04 liquid grey ZX3, built for FSP

Points 5,367, Level 47
Points: 5,367, Level: 47 Points: 5,367, Level: 47 Points: 5,367, Level: 47
Level Up 9% Completed
Level up: 9% Level up: 9% Level up: 9%
Forum Activity 5%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%
FF Reputation: 35 thenorm Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Yokohama Advan A032 S (R-comp)
205/50/R15
usage: SCCA solo2 (Hstock)

these were my first R comp tires and im hooked. It is the best valued mod u can make to lower ur autox times. These tires lasted me for over 1.5 seasons. so they have longevity going for them. They are much stickier than street tires, obviously, but i think that they arent as sticky as some of the other R comp tires out there. my next set of tires will be kumho v710, which are, I'm told, the uber R comp tire for autox (although i hear that the hoosiers are good too). THe Advans are a good step into R comp tires, if you are a new driver to autox and may still be a little rough on tires, these will do u well. Also, if you were rich, i suppose you could use these as your rain race tires as they have good tread pattern to evacuate water.

As a note on tire pressures, I set up my car differently from what the Tirerack article would suggest. I find that my focus (perhaps all foci) need higher pressure in the back tires than the front. I have about 39 in the front and 42 in the back. In my opinion this only way i can control the oversteer. (remember im in stock class and have little else that i can adjust).

Also i notice alot of reviewers ^^ have 17 inch wheels. was that a choice, or limited by what u had. For my race tires i went out and bought 15 wheels from the autowrecker, adn put the smallest diameter tire i could on it. My thought was tha by reducing the tire diameter, u increase ur gearing advantage and acceleration. Also with smaller wheels, u reduce rotational inertial which will help the car accelerate and brake. As my car could have came with 15" wheels, it was a legal wheel size for stock class. Just another POV for those considering tires and wheels for auto-x.

PS. i jsut realized that SVT cant fit their brake discs in a 15" wheel

good luck out there