Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - FC Gauges w/ Contour needles (pics)
View Single Post
Old 05-13-2006, 12:45 PM   #1
SuperFlea
Illegal Alien

Fan#: 28261
What I Drive: One Of Teh Hottest Wagons on FF!

Points 20,031, Level 89
Points: 20,031, Level: 89 Points: 20,031, Level: 89 Points: 20,031, Level: 89
Level Up 37% Completed
Level up: 37% Level up: 37% Level up: 37%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 44 SuperFlea Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (46)
Lightbulb FC Gauges w/ Contour needles (pics)

Time: Aprox 1 hour and 30 min.
Cost: FC gauges - $ 70.00, Contour needles - $ 3.00, blue tape and sand paper $ 3.50

I was at a local junk yard and noticed that the Ford Contour has clear needles in the gauge cluster. So, i got me a set cause that gave me an idea. I also got from New Edge Performance a set of silver Focus Central gauge face and while i was at it, i also got a silver SVT HVAC surround.

Here's what i did ---->

I took my cluster apart and repleced the three bulbs that light up every thin with some nice apc blue ones. Seeing as the contour needles i used are clear, they with lith up what ever color bulb you use

The fuel and temp needles from the contour are not that same as the Focus'. I had to cut them a bit from he tip, cause the contour needles are a bit longer. Also the Focus needles have a small stop tip (bump stop) that prevents the needle to go around past the lowest point of the "cold" and the highest point of "hot".

I cut these little stops and glued them on the countour needls.

I also took took some time and removed the film behind the odometer glass (where it tells you how many miles on the car). I sanded the back part of it with 400 grit and then with a wet 600 grit sand paper, to get all the green off (i saw this mod in the how-to section). Afterwards put some blue electrical tape in the back (sanded) part of the film and this gave it a nice blue look.

Remember that before puting things back in place, you have to calibrate your needles, please look in the How-To section for this.

Here's the finished product

Some night shots, for some reason they came out too dark, it looks way better in person.

Sorry i didn't get all the pictures that i should have, i kept forgetting too. Hope this wanna be how-to helps.

Thanks!!

I'm back, Itchbes!