Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - Focus Competition Tires: Info, Links, and Reviews
View Single Post
Old 05-08-2006, 07:16 PM   #7
SteelRain
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 20144
What I Drive: 2004 Infra-Red SVT

FF Reputation: 1 SteelRain Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Tire: Kumho V700 Victoracers (R-comp)
Size: 225/45/17
Usage: SCCA Solo2 Autocross (G Stock)

After running last year on stock Conti's and then Nitto Neo-Gens after a pothole incident, the Kumho V700's are like super glued to the surface. When you turn in, there is no hesitation, they just grab and you go. The 1st run out has to be taken easy as they need some heat for best traction, but I usually go easy anyway to make sure I have the course and my line right. I have 3 events on them (8 runs per event) so far and wear is decent. Amazingly it seems less than my street tires from last year which showed much more shoulder wear than these 50 treadwear competition tires. I did have to relearn the way I drive. You can brake much later and hold much better speed thru the corners, but where street tires give you an audible warning when you have approached max traction (tire squeeling), the V700's provide NO warning before they let go. You hit the traction threshold and then you are sliding thru the cone wall with no warning other than knowing you were really going too fast. This is my 1st experiance with R-Comps and I love them. If treadwear is decent and get all this season and part of next on them, I will get another set. If they wear too quickly, I might try Hoosiers or Avon Tech-RA's. I had them heat cycled from Tire Rack which is suppose to prolong tire life and the track surface is very smooth (very slick actually) so I should get 1- 1 1/2 seasons from them.

www.okscca.org

WARNING!!! The surgeon general has announced that AUTOCROSS is more addicting than CRACK!!!