I thought I would put in a little write up of my battery relocation project.
The Zetec engine bay is less than user friendly with the stock airbox and battery locations so this is what I came up with.
The Duratec cars have their battery where the Zetec airbox sits so I started with a Duratec battery tray.
The Duratec tray is pretty important becuase it has pedestals built into the bottom of it which provide the correct lift to keep the tray off the top of the engine mount while also keeping the battery the proper distance from the hood.
This pic is of a slightly damaged tray, the damage does not matter though because all the areas marked in red get cut off anyway.
The reason for all the trimming is that even though it is a stock Duratec tray it interferes a bit with the fender/ engine mount brace and some of the bits behind the battery as well, The Zetec and Duratec use different braces.
The yellow dot you can see on the left "leg" of the tray gets drilled to allow a bolt to go through which aligns with an existing hole in the brace.
No wiring needs any alteration, it all reaches the battery in this location. The only minor exception is the two small ground wires on the drivers side, I did have to add a jumper to give them a bit more length. I used an old motorcycle battery cable with an eyelet on each end to provide a good solid ground.
The pic above shows a couple areas that were trimmed circled in red and the yellow circle shows the ground jumper connection. As you can see, the area towards the rear had to be trimmed to allow clearance for the small bracket with the wiring harness attatched to it.
I used the stock battery strap to hold the battery down in it's new location, It is bolted to another brace that runs behind the battery and comes over the top to a semi-crude but very strong and functional hold down tensioner. The "L" bracket is bolted on with the same bolt that holds the tray to the brace.
This was the first variation of the tensioner which I was not quite happy with, It has been replaced by a long bolt with an eyelet on the end and the strap loops through the eyelet and gets bolted to itself and the tensioning is done under the "L" bracket.
I did not have to drill any holes in the car, cut no wires and permanently altered nothing while freeing up a huge amount of space behind the drivers side headlight for (in my case) an intake with a rather large filter.
The battery is a very tight fit in the tray now, once the front of it is in place I actually have to push the back down so it "snaps" under the retainer lip in the back of the tray.
When all is said and done it looks right and the battery is solidly mounted.