Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - Focus Competition Tires: Info, Links, and Reviews
View Single Post
Old 05-04-2006, 02:48 PM   #6
JBrotbeck
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 31749
What I Drive: 2000 Malibu Blue ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 JBrotbeck Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Falken Azenis RT-615
215/40r17
Price Paid: $120 each from Vulcan Tire
SCCA Solo STS class (about 40 runs) and limited street usage (under 500 miles)
1.5" drop (Steeda Springs) and Koni Struts, no ABS

I could hardly wait for this tire to be released and I was not dissappointed. Much better treadlife over the 215, and the same stiff sidewalls I came to know and love. This is tire of choice for autocrossers in STS class for a reason. Who cares if Kumho offers contingency money. Let's face it, unless you're in an '89 Civic Si and know what you're doing, even the best driver in a Focus can't compete with these guys, no matter what tires they run. My point is I want the fastest tire I can get for a reasonable price. This tire was good enough to help me win STS in my region, but I have also done alot of other things to the car. I have recently purchased a new set-up and will give you my impressions once the wheels arrive and I run an event on them: Falken Azenis RT-615 205/50r15 on 15x7 wheels.

This RT-615 tire is much better on the street in the rain than the 215, and I even got a few wet autocross runs on them. They were great in the rain, I hardly had to change my driving at all, just apply the brakes a little earlier (since I don't have ABS).
National F&C