Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - Focus Competition Tires: Info, Links, and Reviews
View Single Post
Old 05-04-2006, 03:08 PM   #5
JBrotbeck
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 31749
What I Drive: 2000 Malibu Blue ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 JBrotbeck Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Falken Azenis RT-215 (discontinued, but might be able to find used)
225/45r17
Price Paid: $112 each from Vulcan Tire
SCCA Solo STS class (about 30 runs) and limited street usage (under 500 miles)
Stock ride height, no ABS

Initial impression was scary because I tried them out on the street first. Too tall, for one thing. They raised the car 1/2" over stock 195/60r15 Goodyear RS-A tires. I knew they would be taller, but I should have done more homework before going with that overall diameter. There was also a rubbing issue, but I only encountered it this first street trial when I was going straight over an intersection with an "elevation change gutter". You know, like when you drive down a hill on a San Francisco-steep street and then the road flattens out. The inner fender lip rubbed just enough to shave a little string-cheese looking piece of tire off of the fronts. CRAP! I decided from then on not to use them on the street, but Auto-X only. I never had a rub issue at an Auto-X, oddly enough. Overall, it was a fun experiment to try to go with the maximum allowable width for the class.

As far as performance, they were great for STS. "The tire to have" as far as I was concerned because of the tread pattern and stiff sidewalls. IMHO, the only reason other guys ran Kumho tires at nationals was becuase they offer contingency money and Falken doesn't. I kept hearing rumors about how "greasy" these tires get when hot, but I never had enough of a problem to spray my tires with water like other schmucks were doing.

As far as turn-in and all that other gobbledeegoop, I have no idea what to tell you because I am a seat-of-my-pants type of impressionist. I have been autocrossing for eight years, but I would make a terrible test driver for a magazine. Not becuase I can't drive, but because I can't put into words how tires react to my inputs. Does it turn in good? Sure, as opposed to my old Kumho 712 street/auto-x tires. Did I think they lasted long enough? Sure, but I sold them with some tread left on them because the new RT-615 came out and I had to upgrade to see what all the hype was about.
National F&C

Last edited by JBrotbeck; 05-04-2006 at 03:52 PM.