Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - Focus Competition Tires: Info, Links, and Reviews
View Single Post
Old 05-04-2006, 02:16 PM   #4
Oni
Oh yeah!

Fan#: 24899
What I Drive: An unloved Focus

FF Reputation: 4 Oni Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Tire: Kumho Ecsta MX
Size: 215/45/17
Usage: SCCA and PCA autocross and daily driver

I have done four events on these tires (three SCCA autocrosses, and one Porsche Club autocross). While I cannot tell the distinct difference of these tires over my all-season Contis, I know these tires are faster. They break away in an easy fashion and are easy to get gripping again (unless spinning ). They wear very well, and I look to get a whole season and summer's worth of driving out of them. I have dropped an average of 2-3 seconds over my Contis. This is both attributed to improvements in driving and the tires (so let's say 1 second to driving improvement and 2 seconds to tires ). I'm on average 2-3 seconds behind the fastest STS guy where I was usually 5-6 seconds behind his times on the Contis when I was in GS.

The biggest plus about these tires is that they love heat. Whereas the RT-615 may need cooling, the MXs work better the hotter they get. Like a slick the MX needs some heat in it with one or two runs under it before it starts sticking to its potential.

Personally, I love the tires and they work great in the rain as their tread pattern would suggest. But if I had to do it all over again, I think I would've gotten the Falken Azenis RT-615s in 225/45/17s instead. Still, this is an opinion based on unshaved MXs, so they may become almost as competitive as the RT-615s once worn down and tread squirm is reduced.
SVT Squad #80
1365 of 3985
Born: 04/25/2003

formerly known as the member ilcowil

Last edited by Oni; 05-04-2006 at 02:27 PM.