Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - Urethane vs. Fiberglass (Body/Lip Kits)
View Single Post
Old 04-21-2006, 02:49 AM   #40
oassaf
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 21611
What I Drive: 2000 Silver ZTS

FF Reputation: 1 oassaf Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
For all you guys going back anbd forth about this fiberglass, you cant make a flexible fiberglass. Its chemical breakdown, and the materials used to create it will always harden to a very rigid form. In order to create this flexi whatever stuff tehy would have to creat a urethane blend, in which the core is urethane and the outer shell is fiberglass or vice versa. But in any case the fiberglass itself, hence the name fiberglass, would crack under anytype of pressure. Dont waste your money on fiberglass no matter what a manufacturer tells you about it. Just as you read in many otehr posts about the dealers claiming to use urethane but then sending you a fiberglass kit, it will be the same deal. They will send you the same crappy kit they had in their warehouse only they added the word flexi to its title. As for hoods, go for carbon fiber, which can be bought in various colors now, and can even be done, if you want to spend the money to match your paint. Fiberglass when painted NEVER dries properly nor does it usually match. All you will end up with is an offshaded kit that does not fit properly and will most likely fall off or crack if you hit the potholes commonly found on the road you drive.

I have a wings west kit on my car an that thing has been put through so much of a beating that after one year of being driven in Canada, which includes a breif period of snow (got to lazy to take it off), where it acted as a snow plow it sill sits in its original shape and just had to be repainted.
XM Radio and CD Player
Current Exterior Modifications:
Avenger Front Bumber, JSP Wing, FX Side Skirts, Anzo Projector Headlights, TYC Carbon TL, Billet mini Antenna