Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - "How To" Painting Wheels
View Single Post
Old 04-20-2006, 07:00 PM   #19
Metal
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 14271
What I Drive: 2003 Sonic Blue SVT

FF Reputation: 3 Metal Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
I don't remember the paint brand off top of my head I believe it was duplicolor, I will doublecheck when I get home. And as for the steps I took, I didn't have a lift so I did one wheel at a time jack her up, take off wheel,
Used spray nine to clean off rims nice a good, wet sanded with 400 grit, just enough to scratch the clear no need to go crazy.
Masked off the tire with newspaper (this part was probably the most time consuming)
I actually bought silver rim paint that matched the stock color EXACTLY so I did a base of that (2-3 coats). Let it dry mask off the parts to be done in black, I found if you look at the rims in the light there is a line drawn by the curve of the rim I used that line to lay down the lines.
Lay down 2-3 coats of black, first light then wet coat to top it off. Let her dry take off masking clear the whole thing, dry again and polish. Took me 2 days to do all four rims, not a bad weekend project, it's time consuming but the end result is a thing of beauty

My brother has a SRT-4 and he saw me doing it and I had to do his too, and his were an absolute PAIN. Just like putting the vinyl stripes on, his car has so many curves it's unbelievable. But if you have the time and patience it can be done and a good product will be had in the end

Edit: BTW, great write up, without this writeup I wouldn't have had the guts to try this