Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Wheels and Tires for starting in rallycross

5K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  SBK86 
#1 ·
Hey all,

I'm planning on trying rallycross at Summit Point, WV this year for the first time. I have an SVT with the SVT wheels. For rallycross I'm thinking 16 or 15" wheels would be better and I'll throw on some cheap winter tires for better traction in the dirt. My question is will 16 or 15s even fit on the SVT? Or are the brakes too large? What do you guys usually do for the SVT for rallycross? Convert to the ZX3 brakes?

Thanks

#2 ·
Answers are in this thread:

http://forums.focaljet.com/ford-svt...l-zx3-brakes-fit-svt-rallycross-problems.html

If I were you I'd try to leave my existing SVT brakes on the car....

I seem to remember someone saying the Team dynamics "pro rally" model would fit svt fronts too-but can't find that link.

Too bad you are not next door or I'd attempt to throw one of my Braids on your car to see if they fit.

I run 195/60/15 Firestone winterforce but I have the dinky zx3 front brakes.

My car's thread here:
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=324188

Reactions: Buickboy
#3 ·
Id find a set of stock 16's and a cheap set of winter tires in either 205/50 or 205/55

That way when you mess up a wheel itll be super easy to find a replacement, and those fit over your stock brakes.

#4 ·
I do really like the team dynamics wheels I was thinking about going that route with 15s... but now I think I'll just get some cheap stock 16" wheels and put some winter tires on. Since this is my first event the practical thing would be to start out cheap and see how it goes and spend some more later.

Thanks for the link rallyrs, very cool. Hopefully I'll be able to have my own similar thread soon :)

If anyone has 16s for sale let me know, I'll be posting in the WTB section shortly.

#7 ·
Crap I forgot about a skid plate. I'm not doing stage rally just rallycross on a pretty flat dirt/gravel course so I don't think I'd need one... rallyrs, did you use one for your car?

#9 ·
I rally crossed in my '93 Eclipse on dirt and gravel and after couple events I dropped out since the abuse on the car was more than I could handle for what was really a nice street car that ran 12s in the 1/4.
My paint took a lot of abuse and the bashing of the suspension was a bit too much for me to handle. I even ice raced up on one of the mountain lakes near Denver and while the car never really got dirty per se the beating the suspension takes was pretty much the same as on dirt.

So,just take the extra wear and tear into account and if it's worth the abuse and extra maintenance you will need.

#11 ·
I'm not too concerned about that. I bought the car with the purpose to one day do autocross or rallycross. I don't mind wrenching so the maintenance part doesn't bother me, just want to have fun :)

I don't have a skid plate yet...on my list- but not high on my priorities yet.

Depends on your courses really.
I have pretty good clearance now and I check underneath often..but most of the cars at the events in my area don't have one.

My main worry is the duratec oil filter..no hits on it yet, but it looks like it's just hanging out there for something to puncture it!
Yeah I didn't think many people had skid plates at the amateur events. My only concern is I'm at the SVT ride height so that might be a little sketchy. You're at 1 inch above ZX3 height?

#10 ·
I don't have a skid plate yet...on my list- but not high on my priorities yet.

Depends on your courses really.
I have pretty good clearance now and I check underneath often..but most of the cars at the events in my area don't have one.

My main worry is the duratec oil filter..no hits on it yet, but it looks like it's just hanging out there for something to puncture it!

#13 ·
Here is the skidplate I made. The baseplate is for a EVO 10 but the bends fit our Focus perfect! Even the two rear mounting holes lined up with existing holes in the sub-frame. It would also be easy to add an oil filter and drain hole if you wanted.
Nice. How thick is that metal? I'll just make my own eventually then.

#15 ·
I was going to find some stock focus wheels but they're 16x6 and it's hard to find winter tires in that size. I ended up ordering some cheap tires and 16x7 wheels on tirerack. I'll get some team dynamics later in the rallycross season if I want to spend more money.

subieracer, that's awesome. I'm going to do the first event without it and see how it goes. I'll probably end up getting one; if I can buy some stuff from you that would be easier. I'll let you know.

#17 ·
Well just got done the first event of the season! New tires and wheels worked really well.

I was first in my class but there wasn't any competition really in the stock or prepared fwd class. Hopefully more FWD cars will come out later.

I do REALLY need a skidplate though. The new course was pretty rough and I bottomed out a bit. Smashed my rear o2 sensor which I knew would happen anyways since it's in that terrible location and also I smashed off the bottom heat shield of the cat lol.

Next race is in a month so my priorities now are new skid plate, high flow cat so maybe the front o2 sensor can be moved to a better spot and also just delete the rear one since it isn't necessary.

I'll probably start another thread soon since I'll be having some suspension questions.

#19 ·
suspension mounting points are the same. dangly bits, like oil pan, header etc, might be slightly different.

#21 ·
I found this thread which has some good pictures on page 2: http://www.rallyanarchy.com/phorum/read.php?5,62038

The radiator support by itself isn't strong enough but it looks like a bracket is mounted using the holes.

I'll try to take some pictures tonight of the subframe and radiator support. I didn't get to it last night... forgot it was st patricks day and ended up drinking too much.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.