Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Vw wrc

4K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  wrc323gtx 
#1 ·
What's everyone think about the new VW Polo WRC car? It's look good in the test videos on youtube. Carlos Sainz is the testing driver at the moment...I wonder if they'll pick up some drivers after Rally GB. There are rumors of Mikko, Petter, or Ogier heading that way...

Test video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZtZExauRgs&feature=feedlik

#3 ·
I like the car alot, looks tough, for a very small VW. [grinking]

I think Sebastian Ogier would be a great choice, he's fast and I think would excel out from under the "other" Sebastian. 'Course you can't go wrong with Petter Solberg - dude's a nut (in a good way).

#5 ·
Carlos did look pretty good in there!

I agree with the Ogier choice, especially since he's young and experienced. That would be a perfect combination for VW to develop the car and a team. Petter would be great too because he is so experienced and still incredibly quick...it'd be great to see him in a factory car again. Either one of those two as a number one driver would allow VW to pick up a young driver as a number two.

As long as the Flying Finns stick with Ford I'm happy! I think Jari-Matti will really challenge for the driver's championship next year.

#7 ·
I think he'll do okay... wished I could say he would go over there and kick @$$ and take names, but other countries develop rallying drivers like we develop pee-wee (or pop) football players. Starts at a very young age. Most drivers that do rallying compete in cars they can't legally drive on the road. Americans are just so far behind the curve by the time they get the shot. I know Chris is 24, or something, but he'll be competing against driver that have over a decade of experience by that age. I think McRae started at 6 or 8 years old, or something crazy like that and most of the drivers in WRC have that same type of seat time. Crazy!

I do hope he does well, but may very well struggle. I think his first goal (as with any race driver) is finishing and just gain the experience. If he can finish the car with little drama - it would bode well for him and his showing at Rally GB. Remember how Block struggled last year in WRC (and we know how talented he is), had several DNF's.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.