Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Mikealicious' Buttonwillow experience

5K views 27 replies 6 participants last post by  mikealicious 
#1 · (Edited)
we'll just start with these. I was trying hella hard to make it 3-wheel it in the corners. And I did! More pictures will be up later.

Puttin my helmet on before the last run session. Blazin in the passenger seat.

I was on it in this one. Look at the lip. It's almost dragging!

here are the vids. just an fyi, there is no passing on the first lap. It's supposed to be a warm up lap. Thats why I never owned anyone in the first couple minutes. :bowrofl:

run 1 was not so hot by any means. I was completely out of wack. lol

run 1 part 1

run 1 part 2

my instructor offered to take me out in his run group in my car to show me the lines and what my car was capable of. I said ok so we went out. I was white knuckled the whole time and couldn't wait for the checkered flag to be thrown. Just to put in perspective of how fast we're going, the "S's" @ 0:34 in the first vid were being hit @ 95mph. The sweeping left turn @ 4:00 was also hit @ 95mph. I can only imagine that car w/R compound tires.

instructor run part 1

instructor run part 2

after seeing what the car was capable of, and watching the lines he took, I felt way more comfortable, and it shows in this vid. Night and day compared to my first run.

run 2 part 1

run 2 part 2

this run is my favorite. I think I had the most fun and did the best here. This is where I passed the new sti (the blue one in the start of the vid which I thought was gonna blow me away) as well as the lotus elise(yellow one).

run 3 part 1

run 3 part 2

Blazin hopped in my car for the last run. The BMW in front of me is Kat (Christain's gf). LOL @ Blazin freaking out @ 3:41 :rofl: this is also the only run where someone passed me. It was the same miata I passed in the beginning. He was behind me, so I gave him the point by. I like following other fast people, helps me improve my lines watching where I can gain on them.

run 4 part 1

run 4 part 2

vids will be up later. gonna try to do something different with these ones. AND I was bumped up to HPDE 2. So that was exciting as well.

Was an awesome event even though I only went for the one day. Wish I woulda stayed the whole weekend. Got to learn so much more about my car. AND I was bumped up to HPDE 2. So that was exciting as well. Got to see Clint's car as well. That dude makes me jealous. His ride was siiiiiiiiiiick. Hopefully mine will get there one day.

I am open to any feedback/comments you guys have. [thumb]

here's a vid of a guy in a 944 porsche on R compound tires following me

See less See more
11 7
#7 ·
thanks man. appreciate it. Star specs are awesome tires. I had the falken azenis rt615's prior to these, and the star specs are night and day difference to the 615's. they don't get anywhere near as slick(slippery) when they get hot like the falkens. stiffer sidewalls as well. def worth the extra bucks.

#13 ·
thanks man. It should look better once I get that front splitter and rear diffuser on there.

here's pics of my 'stereo' lol

the 2 holes are gauges that I don't have yet, obviously. One will be the Knock gauge for my J&S Safeguard. and the other is a Aeroforce Scan gauge.

Cluster was made by Dominic (Focus_3XZ). Dude does awesome work. They should unban him.

#15 ·
Yep. I got a stereo. here it is

[rofl]

everything is gone. Last time I weighed the car, it weighed 2,730lbs with me in it and 1/2 tank of gas. I'm going to try to do some more weight reductions. I'd like to get in the 2,600's with me in it. That'd be pretty light. Creepin up on miata status. lol

#16 ·
LOL, ok i had planned to use an ipod too, here is my recommendation for you.. get a set of sony mdr ex51 headphones, they are cheap now, and they provide excelent sound quality compared to apples crap, they have really good bass and isolate noise. Any idea on the weight of the sound system of the car?

#17 ·
yea. at first it kinda sucked, cuz the system I had in there was a bitchin one, but I got used to the ipod. I'll have to check out those headphones.

and no idea on the sound system. Mine was completely aftermarket. When I took everything out, I lost 300lbs from the car. so it was pretty noticeable.

#19 ·
absolutely. Hopefully it'll be on w/in the next few weeks. My buddy that's making it is a part of the Scion Racing pit crew. So he's been traveling with them doing races and stuff. I'm gonna try to bug him about it so he can make it. He's making a custom crash bar to mount it to. I'm using a material called alumalite to make the splitter out of it. I thought it'd be good material because it's so lite (trying to avoid adding a lot of weight to my car), but he made one for his srt-4, and I'm not sure how it'll hold up. Although he was at this Buttonwillow event with me and it worked fine. I'm just scared of hitting a speed bump or something and ruining it.

And after seeing Clint's (RickB) splitter, and watching him literally stand on it (although he only weighs like 130lbs lol) I kind of want to make one out of wood. We'll see what ends up happening.

But my plan is to make a complete underbelly pan out of this material. I'm going to be making a full functional rear diffuser for the car as well. Not sure if I'll be using this material or regular aluminum yet.

So stay tuned folks!

#21 ·
yea. saved a good amount of weight w/the seats. Each corbeau seat weighs almost half of what the factory seats weigh. So it's like taking out your passenger seat. Not noticeable w/just putting the seats in. But it's one of many things that adds up to the overall weight savings which is definitely noticeable.

and yea. I'll def keep you guys posted with everything.

#22 ·
ok, so little update, looks like my buddy was able to pencil me in for the 28th of this month. we're going to cut the splitter shape out of the alumalite, create the custom crash bar to mount the splitter to, weld the crash bar to the frame of the car, and mount the splitter. I already have the splitter support beams, so we'll use that to fasten the front of it. I'll try to take as many pictures as I can and post em up.

#25 ·
Connect them to the brake switch and throttle. You will need to add a microswitch to the pedal or TB to get an input for the throttle light.

Check out some of my older vidoes on youtube (fsp505), you'll see the lights I rigged for this in my car.

It helps for knowing when you are actually braking and applying power on corner exit. Cheap way to get basic data in your videos for analysis.

#27 ·
IMHO, these are not located directly in view of driver, big enough, or bright enough for an emergency warning like low oil pressure or high temp.

Things fly apart pretty quick at racing speeds when oil or water go bad.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.