Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Testing the new suspension......

4K views 17 replies 6 participants last post by  tb1999 
#1 ·
Well, I have just installed my custom built Koni's this past week. [woot]

On Saturday I did a quick "seat of my pants" ride height, aligment and corner weights using toe plates and digitial angle gauge for camber. [wrenchin]

On Sunday I ran a Time Trial event with EMRA on Pocono North Course for a test and tune.[race]

Well, with the new set-up I knocked almost 3 full seconds off my times at this course, (1:07.25 > 1:04.55) and quickly settled into a very consistent rythm in the last session. (about 11 laps in a row in the 1:05's). During the course of the day, I also had about 4 laps under 1:05.

I'll be doing a proper alignment and corner weights before my next event, a double regional with SCCA Finger Lakes Region at the Glen.

Based on the improvements I have seen this year at NJMP Lightning, and these numbers from Pocono N, I hope to take my times at WGI down from 2:29.74, to the 2:25 - 2:24 range.[thumb]

#3 ·
Thanks!

My last dyno run taken in Feb 09, before adding header wrap, port matching the exhaust ports and ditching the EGR was 150 WHP, so it might be like 155 now? (it's posted in the Duratec Dyno sticky)

With me and a full tank, it's tipping the scales at just under 2675.

I've got a set of stage 3 crane cams I'm dying to throw in, but I'm waiting to do a complete motor over the winter. [thumb]

#4 ·
hmmm, very nice!! i saw you passing mustangs so i was wondering if you have boost. I'm in about the same category as you w/ 164 whp and 2588 lbs!! now i wanna go!!

#5 ·
No Boost!

My D23 is all stock internals, 67mm TB, 2.5" MAF, F2 Header (wrapped), focussport stealth exhaust minus the front resonator, the exh ports on the head were matched to the header, EGR deleted and custom tune by me using SCT pro racer.

I'm running 4.06 gears and a quaife.

I actually think I got a small jump in HP by installing an oil cooler!.

When I got my oil temp gauge installed earlier this year, I learned that my engine was running about 290F on the oil temp after about 10 laps flat out.

I installed an oil to water "mocal" style cooler and now it runs @ 220F. Since the engine squirts oil on the pistons to keep them cool, lower oil temps means lower piston crown temps, which keeps the clearances looser and keeps the engine from pinging etc.

The car was just an animal out there........

and as an FYI I'm running castrol full synthetic, 5W20, which puts my oil pressure at a solid 60 PSI on track.

#7 ·
No, it don't.

Me bad!

It's just using the throw off and splashing to get oil on the pistons.

The point is cooler oil, cooler pistons, especially is its like 80F cooler.....

#10 ·
What spring rated and sway bars are you running?

I found I was also about 3sec faster on my home track with my car after the, suspension and LSD install this summer.

#12 ·
550 front
450 rear
H&R 24mm FSB (soft setting)
Steeda 28.5 MM RSB

Car weighs about 2675 with me and a full tank.

~1685 F
~990 R

#15 ·
I have only run about 5 full sessions on them, but I think they have everything you could want in a tire for that price.

consistent performance, braking and turn in are very nice, and good feedback overall.

I purchased them at the track after I corded my NT01's on advice of an experienced spec miata guy that has tried just about every tire on the planet.

He believes the Hankook is even better than an R6, on his Miata. I never had Hoosiers, but I put them on par with the Advan A048's I was running last year.

But the price is good, about $165 ea compared to just over $200 for an R6 or the Yokes.

I'll have to see if they hold up to heat cycles well or just go off quickly. My Advans are pretty beat up with almost a full season on them, and as long as it's a warmer day with full sun, they still grip real well. If the Hankooks can do that then I will definitely buy them again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.