Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Focus Rally Project

14K views 70 replies 19 participants last post by  Geezer 
#1 · (Edited)
Ok its going to be a rally car but not for hard core rally so most likely i will be just racing my friends.

Current Mods:
K&N Air Intake System
FSWerks Race Exhaust Coming Via Ups

The 1st post will updated when i install parts. so stay tuned for more updates[race]

See less See more
#2 ·
you may just want to leave it stock. Rallying is expensive, and the last thing yoku want to do is add extra parts unless you have deap pockets. mine is staying stock on the exterior. mount the lights on the front. A good set of piaas and a custom fabed pod will cost you over 1k alone!

#3 ·
Well the only thing i found that cost the most was the coil over shocks and that was $5k. no brainer that i cant make it into a really rally car but i can get it close. but mods on cars cost alot money like entertament sys. and rims w/tires, paint and etc. im trying to go for the look i want thats not going to cost alot so far the price range i got is $0-$1500 (lowest to highest price willing to pend) and the most of the parts r around $300.

#4 ·
well for the light pod, ur looking at 800 just in lights. if u can find a pod thats another 300 if ur lucky. the 4 lights from Piaa are 150 each plus the harnesses. as for looks, if you only got 1500, its gonna cost alot more for just looks. If ur actaully looking to make a rally car, ur gonna spend about 10k.

2500 roll cage
1000 seats
500 belts
2000 rally computer
400- skid plates
1500 for all lighting
1000 for other SFI gear
1500 brake upgrades w/ hydraulic handbake

2-3k more for MISC parts

Then you have rims and tires cause you need like 3 sets

so it isn't cheap.

For looks, ur gonna want the WRC body kit if they make it for the sedan, but i don't think they do.

most rally cars don't have body kits unless ur Pastrana, Block, or [mecry]McRae.

people will be more impressed if they see the interior over the exterior. cause some of the best rally cars are completely stock on the exterior minus the lightpod.

just my $.02

#6 ·
mlbbaseball thats i can spend the money, but if i go more of the cheaper stuff it will cost less and im friends with ppl that do the kinda mod i want for little money. like the roll cage the only thing i send on that it is pipe and @ my work we sell it so im set on most of the project now i kno over all it will cost but it not like im going to drop 10k or more really fast the ecom. sucks. as for the interior i have not really thought on it but i was thinking about a YearOne car that has a roll cage and still has the interior if i try to go with that (and yes the side airbag will be removed) i should be set but not everything is set in stone yet im still waiting to see wut parts come out.

Yes afraziaaaa im going to make it a rally car. now is it going to be a hard really WRC car dont really kno cause the teams put hundreds of thousands of dollars into performance and safty.

Now so far both of u went around the question about the paint idea.

#7 ·
Yes afraziaaaa im going to make it a rally car. now is it going to be a hard really WRC car dont really kno cause the teams put hundreds of thousands of dollars into performance and safty.

Now so far both of u went around the question about the paint idea.
I didn't answer your question because I wasn't sure of your intent with the car.

Honestly, and I will try my best to remain humble and not to offend you, but I think you need to rethink where you are going to be spending your money on this car.

If you want to really make it a rally car, put your $1500 elsewhere into the car. Performance should come first IMO. I am assuming that $1500 is not your end budget, but just what you are starting with. Think about a good set of brakes instead of the paint. I don't know much about rally racing other than it's cool but I assume that you need the lights and such to race. If you don't need the lights, then forget em for now and use that money for seats and your cage. If I understand you correctly, you are going to fabricate the cage yourself, correct? Suspension should come before paint as well IMO.

Also, what are your plans as far as drivetrain?

To answer your question directly, I like your styling but I think you have your priorities out of order. The paint would be cool if you had everything else done first.

#8 ·
Thanks the $1500 is the highest im going to send on buying a part i dont kno the really cost of the project mlbbaseball could be right $10k it could cost i dont really kno. for the Performance for rally cars is some body mods im still doing research on some others, but due to the fact i have an 08 Focus proformance parts r kinda hard to find. for the drivetrain i think is going to be the hard part of the project because i really want it to be AWD but they do have FWD rally car so im still thinking about that part of it. well i dont normaly draw cars so yea but i think it did the job and again thanx for the feed back afraziaaaa

#12 ·
A set of DMS shocks alone can cost over 3000.00. And then they have to be rebuilt after every three or four events at the cost of 250.00 each. Some of the costs quoted above are exaggerated (good computer only costs 400.00 or so) but there's about two dozen or so missing items (like a full on rally suspension, seam welding, rewiring, etc.). Event costs are what kill you.... entry fees, lodging, food, trailer, tow vehicle (tow vehicle fuel...ouch) etc. etc. When I was rallying a weekend easily cost 750.00 to 1000.00 and that was a poor boy budget.

A good source of current info might be the NASA Spec Focus Rally page.

#11 ·
FWIW, All lights must be below a horizontal plane starting at the base of the windshield. In other words roof mounted lights are a no no. That said, and having participated in SCCA Pro Rally (pre Rally America and NASA Rally) and when it was much cheaper than it is now....It still cost a bloody fortune!!!! There is no cheap way to rally. Entry fees alone are now 750.00 to 1000.00 for one event!!!! If you want to have fun without the outrageous costs, participate in a rallycross program.

#19 ·
If you want to set up your car to be Rally America ready, you'll probably need a budget of $5k, doing all the work yourself. As others have said, don't put money into looks. Feel free to ignore me.

#21 ·
FWIW, Both NASA and Rally America have required sticker packages (have to keep their sponsors happy and what's worse you have to buy the stickers from them). They're definitely required if you want to be eligible for contingency money and awards. They pretty much tell you where they have to be placed and that will determine what's left for your sponsors. This may change your design concept.

#31 ·
If you are going to rally in Rally America, ur gonna wanna start in production class. ur gonna wanna budget more!!! 1500 for each Hans Device setup and safety suit. 1k for entrance fees, and tires, etc. anyways, i would hold off on the paint!!!! its gonna get dinged up!!! its a fact!!! rally in stock form!!
maybe you started off on the wrong foot, but we didn't see in your OP a list of parts that you'd need to upgrade your car, like what mlbaseball listed. That list would have clued everyone in to the fact that you're going down the right tracks research wise.

Instead we saw only some paint schemes, spoiler mods, and accessorization of a car that you purport to want to rally.
That's an awful price, but either way, don't bother trying to make power on this car if you're gonna rally it.

double check these are FIA certified; I couldn't see that it was anywhere.

Just pick up the Ford Racing rally brake kit. These guys might have a caliper configuration that'll prevent you from running a 15" or 16" wheel.

If there's one thing you can't cheap out on, it's suspension. Look for a used set of quality suspension bits. Rally suspension needs are very different from street or track suspension.

You shouldn't worry about this stuff. None of it is keeping you from getting on stage. A complete RallyAmerica graphics package is like $45 or something.
I have to agree 110% (!!) with all these folks. I don't see a sensible plan forming here. Cosmetics and useless wings are NOT essential to rallying. They WILL eat up money that should go to purely functional changes to the car, and safety gear for the driver. If you seriously intend on getting involved in any motorsport, read the rule book, find out exactly what is required to even get past the front door so to speak. Cartoon paint jobs and ineffective aero devices just don't make sense to the mind of a racer, no matter how "amateur" or "small budget" he or she is. Novice racers start out with the best equipment they can barely afford, not overpriced and inappropriate blingy hardware. I'm sure others will agree with that point.

[race]

#23 ·
If you are going to rally in Rally America, ur gonna wanna start in production class. ur gonna wanna budget more!!! 1500 for each Hans Device setup and safety suit. 1k for entrance fees, and tires, etc. anyways, i would hold off on the paint!!!! its gonna get dinged up!!! its a fact!!! rally in stock form!!

#26 ·
remember is a paint idea
maybe you started off on the wrong foot, but we didn't see in your OP a list of parts that you'd need to upgrade your car, like what mlbaseball listed. That list would have clued everyone in to the fact that you're going down the right tracks research wise.

Instead we saw only some paint schemes, spoiler mods, and accessorization of a car that you purport to want to rally.

#25 ·
Dude, you are a tool. Taking your new car and flying down logging roads is NOT rallying.
You need more than just cool tires. You NEED a real cage, not some NOPI/ mad tyte yo/ jdm bolt in piece of crap. You NEED a real suspension and under body protection. You NEED driver training.
I'll just sit back and wait for the post where you say you totaled your focus screaming down a muddy dirt road.

#27 ·
Come on man, don't call the guy a tool for an idea of what he wants to do. Who says he runs his brand new car down logging roads. It may be a little unrealistic for him to think he's going to be rallying his car or what not, but it doesn't mean you should be the one to put him down for it. How do you think all the actual rally guys started out?? in 100k sti's or what not? No probably like what he wants to do. I hope in a few years he's running circuits and you're reading about him, and you're like ahhhhh shit..... I'm a tool. It would have been fully acceptable for you to just say he needs to throw a suspension in, and tons of work, and should probably consider some training on how to handle that type of driving, but that was straight up FJ style /rant.

#29 ·
Current Parts List:

FIA Sport Regulations Roll Cage (T-45)
Driver Safety Gear
Still Reading For More Info.

AirIntake: K & N $321.95
NEV Netami Racing Seats $1,238.00
Crow 5 Point Restraint $130.00
KSport Procomp Front/Rear Rotor Kit $1,787.50 Ea
KSport Kontrol Procomp CoilOver Kit $929.50
APR GT-U Adjustable Wing $256.50 (Adjust to 15 Degrees)
OZ Racing SuperTurismo GT (Matt Black/Red Lettering) $???.??
Driver Numbers/Nation Flag $175.82 (In UK)
Current Total Cost: $6,625.95

Parts Will Be Posted As They Come Available And That Meets FIA Sport Regulations

Prices Will Change Due To Labor, Shipping And Handling.

#30 ·
AirIntake: K & N $321.95
That's an awful price, but either way, don't bother trying to make power on this car if you're gonna rally it.

NEV Netami Racing Seats $1,238.00
double check these are FIA certified; I couldn't see that it was anywhere.

KSport Procomp Front/Rear Rotor Kit $1,787.50 Ea
Just pick up the Ford Racing rally brake kit. These guys might have a caliper configuration that'll prevent you from running a 15" or 16" wheel.

KSport Kontrol Procomp CoilOver Kit $929.50
If there's one thing you can't cheap out on, it's suspension. Look for a used set of quality suspension bits. Rally suspension needs are very different from street or track suspension.

APR GT-U Adjustable Wing $256.50 (Adjust to 15 Degrees)
OZ Racing SuperTurismo GT (Matt Black/Red Lettering) $???.??
Driver Numbers/Nation Flag $175.82 (In UK)
You shouldn't worry about this stuff. None of it is keeping you from getting on stage. A complete RallyAmerica graphics package is like $45 or something.

#32 ·
Don't forget about skid plates!! Then there is the fuel shutoff system, fire supression system, rally computer, SFI/FIA/RA approved gear, Hans Devices, inspections, licensing, hydraulic Ebrake, lighting system for night, etc!!!! and those are just the main things not mentioned. I haven't even touched on tires, camber caster kits, body strengthining jacks/ emergency equipment, radios, cameras, etc. my list, which i have priced out for new parts is around 16k for my car, granted, i'm fabbing up alot of my own stuff and finding used parts, so i'm hoping to keep it under 10!!!!! Not trying to be a killjoy, i promise, I think more people should get into rallying!! but the reality is its pricy and takes alot of custom work!!!

#33 ·
Parts Will Be Posted As They Come Available And That Meets FIA Sport Regulations

If any of u really read this part of the post ^^^^^^^^ AS THEY COME AVAILABLE ITS A NEW CAR FOR THE LOVE OF GOD U GUYS KEEP FORGETTING THAT ONE KEY PART. I KNO THEY ARENT THE BEST OF THE BEST. if i knew u guys would completely over look the biggest fact of the project i would have never posted anything.

#34 ·
if i knew u guys would completely over look the biggest fact of the project i would have never posted anything.
A lot of the stuff you do need is well established though, like FIA certified seats.

The new Focus is obviously not popular at all in amateur rally, so you probably will want to run it as close to stock as possible. There will probably never be a real selection of aftermarket rally parts for this car.

#35 ·
yea thats wut i kinda post 4 times or so it still new so not many parts, the ones i found r universal parts, but i can still try to get upgrades to the FIA Specs and i kno its going to be a long time before it anywhere near FIA Spec rally car.

#36 ·
but i can still try to get upgrades to the FIA Specs and i kno its going to be a long time before it anywhere near FIA Spec rally car.
Ok, but it's probably a waste of your money to buy racing seats that aren't FIA certified only to get FIA ones down the road. The only stuff you'd being doing would be autocross and rallycross, where a better seat is not going to make much of a difference. Certainly not a difference worth $1000+.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.