Focus Fanatics Forum banner

NEW VIDEO: Ferrari vs. focus - STAND & DELIVER !!

8K views 49 replies 27 participants last post by  PlasticRacer 
#1 ·
This weekend, I literally got the opportunity of a lifetime to drive as a guest with the Ferrari Club of America.

I got the invitation on Wednesday, and after frantic parts searches and service, the car was ready. Unfortunately, the camera wasn't quite up to the task, but more on that later.

What an AMAZING EVENT! It was a 140MPH Car Show!

F355 Challenge Cars

F430

F40

Dinos

Masserattis

Alfas

The list goes on...

The best part was watching them on track.

Even better were the accolades bestowed upon our little SVT focus for holding his own in such a big horse (pardon the pun) power crowd.

Unfortunately, I was only able to get a handful of videos. The camera shock sensor was going crazy after the first run group and I could never get the camera to stay on for more than a lap or 2.

Unfortunately, that means you are missing all the good stuff (well, not ALL of it). A lot of these cars don't corner nearly as well as I would expect and I was crawling all over them through the tight portions. Of course, as soon as a nice looooong straight showed up, I was peddling and just trying to get out of my own way.

There were a few successes though.

I ended up cooking the brakes this morning and had a miserable afternoon using OEM "equivalent" pads *ahem*. I got 6 laps before the entire cabin smelled like brakes I was forced to pit.

I came in and smoke was POURING from the front wheels. Hawk or nothing baby! [rant]

So, enjoy! There are a few surprises below as well. [race]

More to come...

See less See more
#3 ·
awesome... that is a once in a lifetime deal. I'd be paying too much attention to the cars drivin than actually driving lol...good job!

#6 ·
It was a great weekend.

I am all tracked out... *phew*

thanks for the kind words.

Look for more videos in a few. Photobucket is slow...

I'll give you a teaser...

Porsche said it cheated on the Nurburgring...[scratch] [scratch] [scratch]

#8 ·
Street tires....

Did you know that it weighs nearly 4000 LBS?!?!?[eek]

The car is EFFING HUGE!

#12 ·
I was just very lucky...

My wife teaches kindergarten in a VERY wealthy district.

One of the parents came in to help the class and noticed a picture of me on track and asked my wife about it.

He INSISTED that I come out to play. He even picked up the tab for track time. I protested ( I Really did ) and he wouldn't take no for an answer.

So, I drove and instructed 2 students - 550 Maranello and an older 512 TR. Great fun.

However, I refuse to drive other people's cars.

This past Friday, an instructor *ahem*...long story, balled up a $400K Lambo into a tire wall.

The car was COMPLETELY destroyed and hit the tire wall so hard that you could see tires flying over the tree line.

Then, today at a Cadillac event, an instuctor friend of mine lost it in turn 9 and went so far into the trees that you couldn't even see the car from the track.

Destroyed a BRAND NEW Corvette Z06 to the point where you couldn't even recognize what kind of car it was. He was transported to the local hospital with 4 broken ribs and internal bruising.

So, there is a downside to this hobby...

#33 ·
Hence the reason I drive a low budget track car, it may not be the fastest car out there but I know I can walk away and not cry if I total mine.

I’ll have to check out the videos tonight when I get home.

#16 ·
Car is COMPLETELY stock.

69K on the odometer.

I run Centric rotors with Hawk HPS pads and Race Blue fluid.

The tires on the other hand....

Hoosier Cup tires. 225/40ZR17 The same tire used in the Koni Challenge.

#18 ·
IF there are any doubters as to if the car is stock, you'll see the car at FOCUS FEST.

However, the little SVT is sick. Down on power after the last run and I need to do a complete brake overhaul.

I think I am losing compression in one of the cylinders causing excessive oil blow-by through the intake.

I'll find out more in the next 2 weeks as I make time to get into the problem...

#40 ·
Have you checked to see if you are getting oil into the intake through the valve cover breather? I co-drove my SVT with an instructor on VIR-Full, and the extended high RPM + 2 drivers caused nearly a quart to blow into the intake through the airbox. I thought I'd killed the car when it wouldn't pull to redline, and when I checked it in the pits, the whole inside of the airbox was dripping with oil.

I've since added a catch-can - I'll see if I have a pic.

#19 ·
You sir are our todays envy LOL. Really that must have been a blast to join them on the track. On another note, I once owned a 308 GTO and it still hasen't been surpassed as the biggest POS I ever had. The firewall rusted just by looking at it and it gobbled oil by the liter. It didn't even hold the road properly, hence a buddy of mine almost got killed after the car spun out in some light rain. Car was totaled but buddy was ok though.
None the less, I wished I could have been there in person, it looked like a bunch of fun.
Thnxs for sharing the vids and be safe.

#20 ·
Why would anyone own a challenge car without knowing how to drive it? He didn't give you _any_ trouble.

#25 ·
In fairness, the driver was experienced, but new to the Challenge car. He was using this event as a "test and tune" event to prepare for his season next year.

Ferrari orders their run groups a little differently than most clubs.

Red - Full race cars with cages and nomex required.

Blue - Advanced drivers matched with similar horsepower

Yellow - Intermediate to advanced drivers matched with similar skill level and similar horsepower

White - True novices

Because the focus is a lower HP car, I was initially placed in the Yellow group because of concern with overtaking speeds.

I was moved to the blue group after the second session. That was interesting. My lap times were consistent with most of the other drivers, but the power of those cars exiting the corners and on the straights is mind boggling. The only advantage I had was in the tighter portions of the circuit. Otherwise, they just ran away...[ohcrap]

#21 ·
Hey Kimbo do you mean I can't drive? LOL
I passed my car to a buddy of mine once & he almost killed himself with it, that's what I call stupid. In my 32 yrs of driving I've owned quite a few top of the notch cars & did more than fine, Ok, except twice but thats another story. Remember that in the 70's Ferrari wasn't as fine tuned as today. Even those cars had issues sometimes, even more then once.

#24 ·
ok your making keeping my zetec that much harder,lol.
good work and if anyone has any doubts i'll pass the links onto them so they can wacth their dreams get crushed.

thank you sir for being my proof the focus is a world class ride.

#29 ·
They are UBER fast and in no way am I intending to prove that a stock focus is faster than Italy's finest...

Rather, we held our own for one glorious weekend. [headbang] [thumb]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.