Focus Fanatics Forum banner

NEW VIDEO: Ferrari vs. focus - STAND & DELIVER !!

8K views 49 replies 27 participants last post by  PlasticRacer 
#1 ·
This weekend, I literally got the opportunity of a lifetime to drive as a guest with the Ferrari Club of America.

I got the invitation on Wednesday, and after frantic parts searches and service, the car was ready. Unfortunately, the camera wasn't quite up to the task, but more on that later.

What an AMAZING EVENT! It was a 140MPH Car Show!

F355 Challenge Cars

F430

F40

Dinos

Masserattis

Alfas

The list goes on...

The best part was watching them on track.

Even better were the accolades bestowed upon our little SVT focus for holding his own in such a big horse (pardon the pun) power crowd.

Unfortunately, I was only able to get a handful of videos. The camera shock sensor was going crazy after the first run group and I could never get the camera to stay on for more than a lap or 2.

Unfortunately, that means you are missing all the good stuff (well, not ALL of it). A lot of these cars don't corner nearly as well as I would expect and I was crawling all over them through the tight portions. Of course, as soon as a nice looooong straight showed up, I was peddling and just trying to get out of my own way.

There were a few successes though.

I ended up cooking the brakes this morning and had a miserable afternoon using OEM "equivalent" pads *ahem*. I got 6 laps before the entire cabin smelled like brakes I was forced to pit.

I came in and smoke was POURING from the front wheels. Hawk or nothing baby! [rant]

So, enjoy! There are a few surprises below as well. [race]

More to come...

See less See more
#35 ·
hey wee, I know what you mean about driving others cars.....

My grandfather has a '77 308GTB (i have posted picts of it up here before) and I drove it ONCE....I never got past 45mph on a deserted strip of road. I was soooo scared I was gonna do something wrong I just cruised. Lame, but the car is part of my history and I am NOT gonna wreck that thing!

nice vids. the focus surprises a LOT of ppl!!!!

#36 ·
I was soooo scared I was gonna do something wrong I just cruised. Lame, but the car is part of my history and I am NOT gonna wreck that thing!
When I was out at NHIS with BMWCCA, most of the newbs in BMWs went so conservatively. Why? Because they drove the cars like they owned it and were afraid to put a scratch on it. That will never get you around the track fast. It was really annoying because I would never know when somebody would early brake for a turn and so I could never get up on their ass into the braking zone.

#38 ·
I can understand the reluctance on the 308. They are classics now!

Never track a car you can't afford to fix or throw away...

As for the noobs. I would MUCH prefer they be conservative. At least they are predictably slow.

#45 ·
Actually, I did. [thumb]

I have to admit that I went in to the event with some pre-conceived notions about Ferrari drivers.

All had chest hair wigs, balding and wearing medallions.

I was wrong. These guys/gals are drivers! Especially in the advanced groups, they pushed these machines.

They came away with a much more positive impression of the focus as well. Most could not believe that new, the car sold for less than $25K.

Much of the day was spent talking about the track and the cars. Who was fast, who was not, and a lot of really good comaraderie.[headbang]

#49 ·
Yea thats so cool, and totally awesome that the ferrari guys and gals gave you the thumbs up. I've owned my focus for almost 5 years now, and its always been a love to hate to love thing. I'm back in love with it, its not an svt, its stock and its an autotragic....but I'm appreciating it for what it is, and that even though its an econobox its still hella fun to drive.

I totally agree with the if you can't pay to fix it you shouldnt be tracking it. thats what makes the focus so great, you can go stock or even make a decent track car...if you crash it sucks, but you know your not driving an expensive car and you'll be able to push you and your car that much more.

Really thats why whoever wants to get into racing should start out with cheapo cars and get a feel how the physics work and such and experiement. Cars like the focus, miata etc. Good stuff

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.