Focus Fanatics Forum banner

July 5-9: SVTOA/SAAC at Miller Motorsports Park

4K views 25 replies 7 participants last post by  twerpie1 
#1 ·
I keep forgetting to post this. [:(]
I know it's getting late, but there's still time to sign up, and you can also register at the event.

Info:
http://www.svtownersassociation.com/svtoaforums/showthread.php?t=12568
Main Discussion:
http://www.svtownersassociation.com/svtoaforums/forumdisplay.php?f=201

Is anyone else heading to Salt Lake for this?
Can't wait to see all the SVT vehicles and Shelbys next weekend!!

I've signed up for the "full track" (4.5 mile) event. [:D]
It'll be my first time on a real Road Course in the SVTF...or any car for that matter.
I can't really count the time I spent at Seattle International Raceway (now called Pacific Raceways) in my first car.
That'd be a 1967 Cougar GT and it was WAY back in 1975. [eek]

#4 ·
Right on!
I'll be looking for you.

I'm only doing the dinner on Sunday night, and open (full) track on Monday.
I'm bummed they cancelled the AutoCross. [:(]
Depending on when I roll into town on Sunday, I may head to the track just to see what's going on.

You're not bringing any of your SVOs or the Shelby?

BTW.
Is it a good idea for me to bring along a roll of blue painters tape to cover my headlights and fogs?

#5 ·
The Shelby is a garage queen now that prices have skyrocketed. The track SVO is waiting for me to install the new motor and the other SVO only has 5800 miles so it doesn't see any long trips or road courses. Particularly since it has 21 year old Goodyear “Gator-rocks” on it, they weren’t very sticky when new.

Blue masking tape is good to bring for numbers and such. Taping headlights and fog lights isn't really necessary, but things can fly up at you. Some people tape and some don't.
It is too bad you aren't coming to run on Sunday. By missing the first day (or third day if running with SAAC) you will be behind everyone else on the track learning curve, especially since it will be your first time on a road course. That 4.5 mile course has a ton of turns to remember. We run into a similar situation when novices share a car and run group for the weekend. By the end of the first day most people are starting to “get it” while the run group sharers are back to where everyone else was at lunch time.
Just remember to not drive like you are autocrossing. Smoothness is the name of the game while on track.
Here are a couple of videos that show a decent line.
East Course
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VF0FMnrKans
West Course
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STOpeGbxMjk
Full Course
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWBJCsZcrXc

See you there.

#6 ·
^^^I kind of suspected the comment on missing the road course on Sunday, though I would only be missing 1/2 the track.
The price took quite the jump this year (doubled),
and while I can afford it, I'd rather save the $200 and use it elsewhere...
Like for an upcoming Evolution Driving School. [;)]
(I've also got some rather new track tires I'll be breaking in on our road course here in Helena on Saturday)

Thanks for the videos!
I'll be studying them as much as I can before heading down.

BTW, I've got some rather stout magnetic numbers that have held fine to 90mph+ on our road course here in Helena.
Or, will they not allow the magnetic numbers at all?
I'm running these:
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=99744

#7 ·
The only problem that might arise with your numbers is if they don't assign them to you. At a number of SVTOA events we assign numbers according to run groups and instructors. Ie: Run Group 1 is 101, Run Group 2 is 201 and the Instuctor for those students is 401 or 501 depending on the number of run groups. It makes it easier for students to remember their run group and be able to find their instructor's cars.
I don't blame you on the money issue. SVTOA was not allowed to set the price since it would have been less than what SAAC normally gets for its glorified parade laps.

#8 ·
Thanks for the info on the numbers.
When I signed up, there was a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd choice for car number.
Logically, I put in 38, 138, and 83 since those are all the numbers I have.
(SCCA adds a "1" for the 1st number in a 2 driver car.
Once my wife started running, we became 38 and 138. [;)]
But, she's not coming down for this event. I'm on my own.

I'll still consider running on Sunday, but that negates the ever important "break in" of my tires on Saturday.
I've only gotten one day in on the new track tires/wheels:
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=124065
^^^I really want to get one more day in with the rears (from the last event) moved to the front.
Or...do you think that's going to be that big of a deal?
I would assume you go relatively easy for the first session, then back to the classroom?
Actually, what is the agenda for novices?

BTW, thanks for the replies!
I appreciate it.

#9 ·
You are asking the wrong regarding the tires. I picked up my Focus with 90 miles on it from SVT and promptly drove it to Watkins Glen (2 days) Gingerman(1 day), Autobahn (1 day), Road America (1 day) and Putnam Park (2 days).
The edges were a little chewed but nothing that has affected them now at 21k miles.
The schedule will be:
1. Driver's Meeting
2. Orientation Laps. We call them station wagon rides.
3. Group 4 and Instructors on track. Groups 1 & 2 in class.
4. Group 3 on track. 1 & 2 still in class.
5. Group 2 on track.
6. Group 1 on track.
Rinse and Repeat lines 3 through 6.

#10 ·
You are asking the wrong regarding the tires. I picked up my Focus with 90 miles on it from SVT and promptly drove it to Watkins Glen (2 days) Gingerman(1 day), Autobahn (1 day), Road America (1 day) and Putnam Park (2 days).
The edges were a little chewed but nothing that has affected them now at 21k miles.
LOL! Point taken.
And...I'm not that far off.
1st AutoCross was with only 848 miles showing on the odometer.
Heck, it took 350 miles to get home from the Dealer in Boise, ID where I bought it.
1 week later...and here we go. [;)]
90 miles though. [eek]
Nice break in!

#12 ·
I wish I could be there!

SHLBYGT is a great instuctor and we've logged a few hours together at Summit Point.

He knows his stuff!

As for the tires, my recommendation would be to start out on street pressures to form a baseline and go from there.

You will find that the big tracks are far less onerous on tires than an AX.

Smoothness is a bonus always, but I think you will be surprised at how quickly you pick up the line.

There is an old adage that states...

"Great autocrossers make great road racers. Great road racers make LOUSY autocrossers."

Take your time, don't let the "red mist" get the better of you and I think you will have a VERY rewarding experence!

Can't wait to hear the stories and see the pictures/video !!

Good luck and keep the shiny side up!!!! [thumb]

#13 ·
Thanks for the tips!
I was just going to ask about air pressures. [;)]
I'm also going to dial out some of the toe out I've got up front.
I have a hunch that 3/16" toe out is going to be a bit touchy to say the least at speed.

Smoothness is the name of the game while on track.
Smoothness is a bonus always
Sweet.
Just ask Steve (focusedaddiction)
(Yes...I wish you were heading down as well. [:(] )
"Mr Smooth" is my middle name. [;)]

Question:
This camera mount will be OK won't it?
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1623719&#post1623719
I didn't see anything on the Tech Sheet about camera mounts.

I'm getting pretty stoked!
I've got quite the "To Do" list to get completed before I take off.
And, shlbygt; I am seriously considering showing up for the Sunday 1/2 track sessions.
Looks like my Evolution Driving School got trumped by the Saturday Night (NASCAR) Bristol race. [:D]
^^^I've always wanted to see a race at that track.

#14 ·
A mounted camera is fine. There just can't be anything hand held or loose in the vehicle. You'd be surprised at how many passengers have tried to sneak a camera phone in to get some shots. Remember the corner workers see all..
Personally I like a hard tire ~35 front/32 rear on the street and then adjust up or down at the track according to how far the sidewalls roll over.
Thanks for the kind comments WeeAsp.

#15 ·
Awesome time shlbygt!!
That was a LOT of fun, even with the SAAC situation.
I'm still going to be an avid AutoCrosser....
But...it will never be the same after navigating a 4.5 mile / 24 turn road course for 20-30minutes at a time. [:D]

Thanks for the ride along, tips, and brake inspection as well!

I'll have some vid and pics to post in a couple days once I get caught back up at work.
Oh, the vids turned out great. Got just shy of 3 hours recorded.
You should see the one of me doing 110-115mph on the front stretch...and then this Ford GT goes by me like I'm standing still. [eek]
Or...there's the one of me pointing a certain lead SVTOA instructor past...and then...
watching that same instructor head off into the dirt about 3 turns later.
Woops! Though...it was a "mechanical", not driver error. [;)]

#16 ·
Glad you had a great time,
can't wait to see that video....[woot] I want to do a track day soooo bad.[;)]
I love autocross too, but everyone i've talked to on most boards say there is NO comparison to an open track day!!
we need to make it to a redline time attack some day, like a G2G!!for next summer.

#17 ·
X2 Glad that you enjoyed it!!!

I didn't realize that the track was THAT LONG !!! That is awesome!!

I'm like you. I REALLY enjoy the big track stuff, but I will never be able to get out of AX.

Not that the big track isn't intense, but with AX, everything is so compressed in many ways it makes it more of a challenge.

The difference is the pucker factor...

"OH MY GOSH, I'M DOING 100 MPH IN THIS CORNER !!!"

I hope the tires hold. Did I take the right line....*puff* *puff* *puff*

I am glad that you got the experience and hopefully, you might have "caught the bug" enough to try some of our East Coast courses...

[thumb]

#19 ·
I don't care what anyone says...

Cobras don't want any part of their foci brethren..

They want to come tot he track with us, they better bring a lunch because it is going to be a LONG day !!!!

[smackbum]

#20 ·
The SVTOA event was a blast. There weren't many cars on track and the track was so long you literally had the pavement to yourself. My car didn't care for the heat, altitude or gas though. It felt dead exiting corners or pulling down the straights. I saw ambient temps of 104 and intake air temps of 134+. I had to conserve as much speed going into the corners as I could because car responded to the throttle like a suggestion rather than a command. My student’s 07 GT500 on the other hand didn’t care what the altitude was, the blower more than makes up for thin air. People complain about the weight and price of the GT500 but I’m sure they have not driven or ridden in one at speed. It is a very nice package.
Miller is a pretty technical layout that rewards you for getting a good line and keeping up speed. There really weren’t too many hard braking zones except for the end of the 3/4?? mile long front straight. If you could screw your courage up to not lift entering many of the corners or figure out some corners with incredibly late apexes you would do well.
The facility itself is freakin' amazing. The garages along the pit wall had individual restrooms, AC, heat, regulated compressed air, water and I believe epoxy floors. Race control looked like something at Mission Control in Houston. Even the gift shop was huge and housed a museum full of historical Shelbys and Fords. The go kart track was a work of art as well. Someone in our group mentioned a price tag of $94 million for the facility and I wouldn't doubt it.

#21 ·
That's so freaking awesome, Doug...glad to see you didn't pull any 'Dougs'... [hihi] j/k

I can't believe you formed a sentence that involved the words 'focus', 'passing', and 'cobra' in that order...that's crazy awesome. [thumb]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.