• Bad cars

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • just dumb luck

Votes: 2 5.6%

SVT vs S2000 vs Z4?? (On the Track)

10K views 42 replies 29 participants last post by  mlbbaseball 
#1 ·
Shouldnt the S2000 and Z4 smoke my SVT?
I'm just wondering because I came up to an S2000 on a track in some twisties and he actually was slowing me down, at the straights he creeped away from me, but at the twisties i had no trouble overtaking him, I was under the impression that the S2000 was all around a better performer than my basically stock SVT...
Now as the Z4 is concerned, I came up to him on a more striaght oriented track and I had no trouble overtaking him on striaghaways, and since there werent many twisties I didn't really get to test against him there...
whats going on? aren't these 2 seaters faster and tighter than my SVT? I mean I've smoked my friend in his 90 miata, but thats because its a stock 90 miata... whats going on here??

#2 ·
Don't worry, the S2000 was probably just being piloted poorly. The AStock S2000 at my local club is dead fast, curvy lines or straight. I know nothing about Z4s, but... our cars not being known as straight line machines, that's just odd. Research seems to indicate you can get a Z4 with a 2.5l I6 which isn't all that much more powerful than our engines...

#4 ·
bad drivers an S2000 will beat the SVT with simmler drivers i've seen it a couple times. there in no underestimateing the SVT they are a differnt class of cars.

#7 ·
bad drivers. there is a reason why s2000 are in A stock, and Z4 in (im guessing) b or d stock. and the SVT is in G stock at the auto-x. Granted in road racing the field might level (idk, i only crush cones)

#10 ·
I've only been into racing for a few years (7ish) and Ive only been driving the SVT for a year and a half now, and I'm still cautious with it, before the SVT i was a straight line racer (5.0 fox baby) doesnt take much skill at the power level i was racing (300rwhp), so i decided to jump to a different car since my "race car" is also my daily driver it has to be street legal and streetable, but i mean i was just sure that the z4 and s2000 were faster and tighter; i mean it could have been a base model z4, but i think both drivers were just inexperianced or babying it, leaning towards inexperianced since they both did some pretty stupid stuff...

#11 ·
Inexperienced and cautious....S2000 $30,000 plus and Z4 3.0i is another $40,000 plus. I think they were being careful with their babies. Hell, I beat the crap out of my car.....but i am cautious in corners with our lift or brake oversteer we get. If its your daily, or your sunday driver.....have to be careful.

#14 ·
wow getting seriousl mixed reviews on here..guess ill have to go to the local honda and BMW dealerships and test drive the cars myself to see how they perform..lets see 24 year old male..yeah they will let me test drive them :) lol!

#16 ·
wow guys, seriously, im taking about TRACK RACING here, im looking for information, opinions and experiences AT THE TRACK please stop making references to street racing, i would like to know, to those of you not making street racing references thanks for the opinions/info

#17 ·
Well, so far I've only come up against a few S-2000s (stock class) when AutoCrossing.
As of this time, whether it be short track (parking lot) or long course (road course here in Helena) I haven't been bested by one yet.

I am of the opinion that the drivers were mainly trying to get a feel for their car, and weren't out to win any national championships.
That might explain why they never came to any more events. [dunno]
I would like to go up against one with a competitive driver to get a better idea though.
In that case, I most likely would get trounced big time. LOL!

BTW, I edited the thread title to help alleviate any "street" responses.

#19 ·
I voted drivers ,but it's not that cut and dry. The s2000 and the SVT are close enough that the way the track lays out could give advantage one way or the other. The Z4 was a bad driver. He should have schooled you.

#21 ·
For the most part the local track Guru's around my area believe the S2000 to be too tail happy and not have enough downforce to be a competent autocross car, although they could are all biased towards the mini, 350Z and the Miata... so who knows.. The last s2k that came out spun on every run... but that's probably just the driver.. so good on you for beating bad drivers in better cars by being a better driver in a poorer car!

The z4 could have been an auto? BMW's are notorious for incredible gearing, handling and flat torque curves - even with the 2.5 I-6... well that all depends on what year too...

#25 ·
For the most part the local track Guru's around my area believe the S2000 to be too tail happy and not have enough downforce to be a competent autocross car,
Downforce? in AutoX where you get to maybe 60 mph for a few seconds? Lol.
the S2000 is overrated. Keep that in mind. It should be faster than you, but not by an insane amount.
have you ever driven one?

#22 ·
I was actually checking the national solo II results from the past couple years earlier today. The S2000 features very prominently in the top 5 A-Stock cars, pretty consistently. Properly prepped, it looks like it's one of THE cars in the class.

That said, autocross nationals are not necessarily indicative of all aspects of a car's track potential. I would consider it a pretty good barometer though...

#24 ·
well, id say driver difference. If you think about it the S2000 isnt a lot faster in a line. The SVT handles almost as good. Hell, he could have had bad tires and you would have been fair. The SVT is an exceptional car and the S2000 is overrated. Keep that in mind. It should be faster than you, but not by an insane amount.

#26 ·
I voted bad drivers. If I paid 30grand+, and still paying on it, I would definitely baby my ride on a track. When I had my car on a track with a corvette I came up on it in the curves a few times. I automaticly chalked it up to the driver being cautious.

#27 ·
S2000's destroy me at auto-x. I know I'm not an SVT but I've got the suspension and am in steady competition with a G35 coupe right now. There's two local drivers that beat the balls off my times all the time. Last time I was really hot on the track but unfortunately, they were not racing that day, so I don't have a current comparison.

#28 ·
never autoX or tracked with a s2k but with the bmw i have and he beat me by 10 seconds(both fastest times) i dnt have svt either but had same suspension, also ax but i pusehd the car to the max lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.