Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Nelson Ledges Road Course Track Day (56k warn)

6K views 32 replies 15 participants last post by  focuson03 
#1 · (Edited)
A couple of us Ohio guys decided on going to one last track event for the year, and to cap off the racing season we figured it would be best to go to a road course[:D] Nelson Ledges Road Course is a 2 mile long 13 turn track, with a straight were you could, (at least I could) reach speeds up to 120 mph. I'm sure the faster group got up to speeds much higher than that.

It was a pretty fast course with the slowest speeds around 55 mph.(for our group anyway) I must say we had a blast, and just like everyone else that was out there that day, I got horrible gas mileage. I burned through a whole tank of gas in roughly 140 miles.[eek] [eek] There were two runs groups for the day, basically v8's and four bangers. Each group got 4 half hour runs, totaling to two hours of track time. At the end of the day they decided to give both groups an additional 20 min session[woot]

The day was cold but it was perfect for racing. In the first session I managed to go of course, yes off course. I figured road racing wasn't enough and decided to do a little rally racing in the mud. You'll see that in a few pics.

EDIT:::: LINK TO THE ALBUM O PHOTOBUCKET

Now without further Ado::::

THE GROUP SHOT

Me scooting around the track in the first session:

SkaAddict folowing behind:

Coming into the one turn before the strait on pit road:

"Captain I can't slow down, the brakes, they won't stop the car!!!!"

And the result of locking your brakes up at 95 mph[eek]

"hey guys you wanna come Rally with me?"

to the pits to clean the car off

After that little incident I cleaned the car off for a good twenty minutes, there was mud everywhere. Thank god I had my passenger window up or my interior would have been covered in mud. Nothing like locking the brakes up at 95 mph and goind sideways off a road course into the mud[:D] [:D]

And now for a few more shots of the day::::

Marlon and I coming off the back straight, he's in the Mazda Speed Protege

Some of lildisco leading the pack around:::::

See less See more
#3 ·
lildisco, Marlon, and SkaAddict. They got out of the pits before me, but I caught up eventually:::

Hold on guys I'm coming!!!

Caught 'em!!

Got by lildisco and Marlon, SkaAddict you're next!!!

Who's that buggin me in my rearview???

Probibly on of my favorite shots of the day

A couple more of the final session:

Hmmmm, I know this turn from somewhere......

Thaks for looking everyone!!!![:D] [:D] [:D]

#6 ·
it wa a blast, although I never thought that much driving would result in me being so sore the next day. lol Thanks for the comments everyone [thumb]

#8 ·
what a BLAST!!!! i feel like i was there watching the whole thing!!!!!! [thumb]

#10 ·
Video is being worked on as we speak. I think the highlight of the day was the Lotus Wrecking and causing us to cut our 2nd or 3rd run short [:(] Boy I'd hate to see what his repair bill would be [rofl]

I really like the last 3 and 4th last post pics [:D] That's the way it shoulda stayed [thumb]

#11 ·
yeah that lotus got f'ed up pretty good. It's gonna cost alot of money to replace all those parts. Unfortunately nobody got pics of it after the tire wall.

#12 ·
hey, i know those HID's from somewhere. . . looks like fun, i wish i could have been there for it.

OT, Brian, did you get all the lights working right?

#13 ·
^^^ yep, they work great[thumb] Turns work and everything. God are these suckers bright at night[:D] Next track day we have you'll have to bring out the 3 and break it in the proper way[:D]

#15 ·
haha, it'll be well past her break in. hell, i've had it a week and already put like 500 miles on it. now it looks like you need some hoen fogs to match at night. i'm gonna be ordering matching highs and fogs for the 3 shortly.

#16 ·
^^^ you sound like me with the ST, I put 3,000 miles on it in a month and a week. She'll be a year old on Tueasday and a little over 16,500 on the clock

homeboyjames said:
looks like you all had a fun time i should have been out there running with you all :( sucks i didnt know about it
it would have been sweet if you would have made it. There was a thread sticked for a little over two months in the Great Lakes Forum.

#18 ·
i wish this damn site would stop trippin!

anyways....
i guess it's my time to speak [:D] damn that is like something i would have liked to do with you guys. any of you miss me yet [:D] it's been 70's + here and i think it reached 90 today. i guess you won't stop bringing up my shifter linkage either so... yeah i'm glad brian got to top it. thanks for taking attention away from me from now on [thumb] i just got my cf hood on a couple days ago, oh and for $51 [8D]. i've yet to do any kind of racing out here (besides on the streets [:D]) but i can't wait to get back into it. great pictures and i can't wait to see some videos [:D][thumb]

anyone got any pics of a [:)][:)][:)][:)]ed up lotus [hihi] damn that must suck.

#19 ·
The jackass twins...

These two guys in the RSX and Integra...they kept wanting to pass in the turns (you were only supposed to pass in the two straights) and the RSX nearly ran me off the track in the back before the big sweeping turn. By the end of the day I was giving them the "OK to pass" signal by making a sweeping motion with my middle finger out. Would've been nice to see one of them go off course and into the tire wall instead of the guy with the Lotus...

#23 ·
sweet pics, the mazdaspeed protege and the yellow vette really caught my eyes though. Love the Euro gold rims too.

Lol, no offense, but due to the fact that the corvette is like 2 inches off the ground and the camera angle make your car look like a complete bus.

#24 ·
^^^^lol, the short bus[hah] [rofl]

Thanks for the compliments on the wheels, although after that the fronts are no longer gold, they're more of a blackish brown from all the brake dust[eek] They need a good cleaning, plus I think there still may be some mud stuck in there[:)]

#25 · (Edited)
very dirty wheels = long day for val [;)]
[poke] too bad you didn't have all wheel drive... you coulda just drifted through that big mud puddle.

**added**
do you still have the stock brakes? time to upgrade maybe?
i stopped hard from well above 120 and kept my car on the road [:D]

#26 ·
^^^yep, still got the stockers, but I don't have ABS[:(] Val said she wasn't gonna clean my wheels either, dude you should see 'em. I'll snap a pick when I get home.

And another thing, wanna talk about brake fade. It was terrible. Devon is running Hawk pads and power slot rotors and he said he didn't have any. But believe you me when I say the stock brake pads can't handle this type of driving.

Towards the ends of the 30 minute sessions I was literally lifting off the throttle and hoping the car would stay on all fours through the turns. I would push the brakes in and I wouldn't slow down at all. On the way home when I almost passed up my road and stuffed the brakes, Val was folowing behind me and she said the front brakes were smokin like crazy[eek]

I'd have to say though the best part of the day was flying through the kink at 100+ mph.[driving] [headbang]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.