Focus Fanatics

Focus Fanatics (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Drag Racing (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=96)
-   -   first time at drag strip (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=94320)

focusdarko 08-09-2006 10:11 PM

first time at drag strip

So tonite was my first time at the drag strip, and i was kinda nervous because i always am when im about to race. Im in South Florida so its humid all the time and i was a little shocked at the times i was running, i was hoping for something better but with the mods i have i guess its quiet common. My friend kept telling me that i need to get my 60 foot times down and ill run better. Hopefully next time ill do better and ill have some more power mods to get me there.

R/T: .249
60': 2.726
330: 7.426
1000: 14.470
1/4: 17.245
MPH: 80.95

again this was my first time and i dont really street race so any feedback on what you guys think is welcome.

kenpokid 08-09-2006 10:39 PM

well, first of all, you don't need to street race to know how to drag race. It isn't the same.

Your friend is right about the 60' time. If you drop it by 1/10th, that is 2/10ths in the quarter.

If you have the 5-speed manual, then you need to practice slipping the clutch. Don't worry about reaction time, it doesn't affect your E.T. They have that for bracket racing. Basically, the idea is to get very little wheelspin, as low as possible. So slipping the clutch out or powerbraking an automatic will help.

With regards to your mods...you won't see much more than a mid-low 16 at about 83-85mph if you have a 5-speed. If you have an auto, then high 16s will be your best bet.

eazyrider_tim 08-10-2006 09:15 AM

YEAH, those times you are running seems to be my best also. What mods do you have. At least I know I am as fast as a manual, and you are a 3-door at that....let me know.

Look at my sig, you are not alone....there was my exact same car, manual, ran a 17.1.....I didn't know our times were so slow.....the ST with out group ran a best of 15.2 I think. He was the only one that got traction right off the bat. I kept spinning like a mofo...which is stupid because I don't have a lot of engine mods.

eazyrider_tim 08-10-2006 09:16 AM

[8D]

focusdarko 08-10-2006 11:41 AM

im a manual with exhaust and intake

nomoreavril 08-10-2006 01:46 PM

you dont know what your 1/8 mile was do you?

kenpokid 08-10-2006 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by eazyrider_tim
YEAH, those times you are running seems to be my best also. What mods do you have. At least I know I am as fast as a manual, and you are a 3-door at that....let me know.

yea, but he has a zetec...you have a D20. Both of you should be in the 16s and the auto D20 should be able to keep up with a manual zetec.

To the thread starter: What RPM were you shifting at and were you granny shifting or speed shifting? I shift at about 6 grand, or shoot for it. And I flat shift or speed shift when I am at the track. I don't lift my foot off the gas and I blip the clutch when I shift.

UB!! 08-10-2006 06:21 PM

ouch

focusdarko 08-10-2006 11:59 PM

no the time slip didnt post my 1/8th mile.
well my rpms are a little off cus i changed my guages when i was dumb and 16, so i shifted at what showed almost 7000 rpm, which if ive paid attention i think is 6000 or so rpms. i shift hard and quick, actually i shifted so hard on my last run into 2nd gear that i broke the base of the shifter, i snapped the front part in half on both sides. Yeah kinda sucky. need to get that replaced with something better if there is something out there or just fixed.
so your saying that when you shift into another gear you never remove your foot of the gas and just press clutch and shift gears? am i right? why do you that and not lift you foot off?

nomoreavril 08-11-2006 02:11 AM

see thats why i dont like manual transmissions....theres too many ways to do 1 thing and i dont know any of them.