Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Autocross Racing (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   Need help with AutoX build (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90234)

zetecfreak 07-01-2006 02:08 PM

Need help with AutoX build

I have read the rules, well close and dont really know what to do. I have a 02 SE 5spd. I would like to build a competitive autocross car, one to run in Street Prepared.
Can I do the any of the Following
SVT brake swap.
LSD.
4.06 gears
How far can I take the suspension?
How far can I take the motor?
I know those are general statements but I love to race and need some serious help. I have been racing go-karts but have grown agrevated with the money required for up keep and to keep up with changes. I was winning with a chassis that is 8 years old. That really pissed some people off, but with newer more expensive equipment available, my old stuff no longer works. So, to safely fill my need for speed I am going with autocross, this is also the only thing the Focus can realy do in racing, be competitive, and be nice and streetable.

Thanks for any help.
Also, anyone know when the next Autocross around Ohio is?
Forgot to add, can I take the reguar Zetec to the SVT level. Using the SVT block conecting rods and pistons. Can I run cams or a ported stock head. I know the SVT owns in autocross, and I know power isnt everything, but if I know I can handle like one, can I be in the same class and make just as much power or more.

GaryS 07-01-2006 02:42 PM

Re: Need help with AutoX build

Quote:

Originally posted by zetecfreak
I have read the rules, well close and dont really know what to do. I have a 02 SE 5spd. I would like to build a competitive autocross car, one to run in Street Prepared.
Can I do the any of the Following
SVT brake swap.
LSD.
4.06 gears
How far can I take the suspension?
How far can I take the motor?

In Street Prepared the engine internals have to remain stock

Quote:

I know those are general statements but I love to race and need some serious help. I have been racing go-karts but have grown agrevated with the money required for up keep and to keep up with changes.
Autocrossing your kart would be cheaper than a car and a lot more fun.

Quote:

Forgot to add, can I take the reguar Zetec to the SVT level. Using the SVT block conecting rods and pistons. Can I run cams or a ported stock head. I know the SVT owns in autocross, and I know power isnt everything, but if I know I can handle like one, can I be in the same class and make just as much power or more.
In Street Prepared there is no messing with engine internals. You can swap engines with an older or newer Focus that is listed on the same "line" in the Solo Rules.

In your kart you could probably set "Fast Time of the Day" which usually happens at Solo events in my area. In other words, karts are always faster than cars on a solo course.

zetecfreak 07-01-2006 06:02 PM

My Kart is for dirt track racing. Would not work well for autoX, actually the brakes wouldnt work at all.
So, I could swap in an SVT motor, but not change a zetec. (not picking on you, picking on the rules) That is just silly.

Egz 07-01-2006 06:52 PM

I thought you couldn't change gears in SP...

OrangeSVTguy 07-01-2006 07:04 PM

where at in ohio are you. i've been looking too but the only places that i know of are in euclid. east of cleveland. check www.noraracing.net or www.autox.net they hold the events in ohio.

OrangeSVTguy 07-01-2006 07:06 PM

www.autox.net
2006 AutoCross Season
We will run 4 events this season in Lordstown, OH. About 30min from the Akron area. West of Youngstown. I will have the exact address on Monday with directions.

The dates are...

July 16
Aug 13
Sept 10
Oct 8

OrangeSVTguy 07-01-2006 07:11 PM

you can't swap in the svt motor that would put you in a whole other class. my class being stock was "GS" stock, they were nice and had let me stay in that class the last event i was at and i had a strut bar and different size tires then stock.

zetecfreak 07-01-2006 07:58 PM

I am in Sothern Ohio. The closes one to me is in columbus at OSU. The next one is July 9th. After that they are having a big one the 30th at OSU. That is all I have found out. My real question is, can I make my car as fast as the SVT, and still be in the same class. If not I will just go buy a SVT. Thanks for the help.

Egz 07-02-2006 10:54 AM

The driver is more important than the car. You will find more seconds on track with driving schools and seat time than any modification you will do to your car. Sure, a ringer of a car helps, but it does not gaurantee anything.

What modification have you done so far? Why are you aiming to be classed in SP?

focusedaddiction 07-02-2006 12:02 PM

^^ he's correct!! seat time is your best friend !! period!! also a good set of tires makes a huge differance. get a short throw shifter too, more persice when blazing on coarse.
a little extra power doesn't hurt, but experience willl help more[thumb]
my brother runs a WRX Sti and can't figure out how I can beat his times by 1-3 seconds lol!!
I think it bugs him a little[hihi] once he learns how to drive that thing I'm toast!... maybe[}:)] haha