Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Technical Chat (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   WEIRD Battery light on, but no problems...? (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=89534)

DetroitBass 06-24-2006 08:43 PM

WEIRD Battery light on, but no problems...?

My battery light came on, and has been on, all day today while I have been driving. I know this usually means bad alternator, weak bateery, or loose wires somewhere.

So I bring out the DMM and do some testing. After I first noticed the battery light come on, I have to drive about 5 miles to home. Figure the battery (Optima Red Top, about 8 months old) would show a decent amount of voltage loss if the alternator was bad. Put the DMM on it, and about 13v..... weird.

Start the car up, test the voltage on the battery again..... 14.5v.... double weird. The alternator is running fine, putting out full power. I turned on the radio, headlights, AC, etc, and hardly ANY voltage drop at all.

Check all wires, power ground, etc, and everything is fine. I have now driven for about 60 minutes or so with the battery light on. When I turn the car off, battery still reads about 13v.

So WHY THE HECK IS THE BATTERY LIGHT ON?

also, I have turned the car off and restarted multiple times, and the light is on everytime. The car has no problem whatsoever turning over, starts like usual. I'm starting to think there might be a problem with the bulb for the battery light!

dudley123 06-24-2006 08:55 PM

Maybe the voltage regulator went out on the alternator. Sending that light on for a MAX voltag. Just a long shot, because a stock alternator or even High output wont put out 14.5. Thats pretty damn high.. I HAVE a High output, and I MIGHT get that 14.5v. Especially if there is no voltage drop when you turn the AC and or lights on. just my .02 worth a shot, see if you can pull a code, stating too high a voltage or something of the sort.

DetroitBass 06-24-2006 09:20 PM

Forgot to mention, mine is a high output alternator....

I don't understand the begining part of your post... what exactly do you want me to try?

If I turn things on, the voltage DOES drop, but not by a huge amount.

dudley123 06-24-2006 09:43 PM

Ok, Well I DO have a High output also. What i was trying to get at, is maybe the voltage regulator is going or IS bad, causing a high voltage issue, which in turn might turn that light on. That is just a guess, if there is no other issues. How long has the altnernator been in the car?

DetroitBass 06-25-2006 12:16 AM

about six or seven months, I'd say. The voltage isn't anything weird. It has always been around 14.4-14.5v since day one.

DetroitBass 06-26-2006 05:00 PM

UPDATE

Today the car started doing something weird again. The battery light has been on since I posted about it, but now a new problem. SOMETIMES, not every time, when I come to a complete stop and put it in first gear, the car just dies. It doesn't shake like when you take your foot off the clutch w/o giving it gas, it just gently dies. Any ideas?

MISVTfocus 06-26-2006 05:31 PM

I have heard of that problem before. I thought there was a TSB on it. Something about stalling during operation. My friend has an ATX 01 wagon which dies sometimes too. It only has been happening when it's hot/humid out like it has been lately. I think a reflash fixes it, but I can't remember the reason, might wanna PM WD40 and ask him about it.

DetroitBass 06-26-2006 07:45 PM

took it to Advanced. No codes were being put out. Check battery and alternator, everything was fine. Belts were all fine. He saidthe only thing he could think of would be a glitch with the attery light itself. I'm still taking it to the shop tomorrow.

Oh, and it hasn't stalled since earlier. Humidity has gone down, wonder if that is what caused it?

sbsvt02 06-27-2006 12:28 AM

My 02 svt has been having the same problems. Whenever i get into the high rpms on the highway the battery light comes on. Last night i got onto the highway, there was a electrical burn smell coming from my vents. The battery light came on and stayed on for 5 minutes. Then it went off. Everything
checks out fine but im going to replace it just in case.

Soccercop 07-21-2010 04:01 PM

So has ANYONE solved this one? I gotta "me too" on this, and am tired of replacing parts!