Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Ford Focus & General Car Chat (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Ebay Knockoffs..Who has em? (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8601)

Twofocused 03-07-2004 10:37 PM

Ebay Knockoffs..Who has em?

Lots of negative replies regarding ebay knockoffs. While surfing ebay I checked on alot of the venders who sell Drop Zone, Intakes, Strut Bars ect. Most of them have 98% + positive feedback. Someone is buying this stuff and apparently is happy with it.

I bought a ebay polished CAI, I did about $15 in mods to it, but it looks, fits, and works great. All for about $75 total. I put on a OBX plug wire cover for $30 + $2 ss screws. I put a APC polished short ram intake on the SPI, it was for a zetec, but fit the SPI perfectly. $45 + $7 coupler to replace the cheesey one they gave me.

The CAI and plug wire cover had minor blems, not noticable really. Im very happy with my purchases and saved a buttload of money.

How about it, anyone else brave enough to admit they put Ebay knockoffs on thier Foci? How happy are you with the fit and performance? How about the Drop Zones? Someone must have them.

Im thinking about the strut bars, I dont think they give any performance increase on our cars, I just want to dress up under the hoods some, especially on the SPI, those are buttugly engines.

Zarelli6 03-07-2004 10:39 PM

i have put on an ebay cai but then took it off when it broke and bought an iceman.
and right now i have a knock off aluminum short shifter on my car and it works flawlessly

BigDaddyZ 03-07-2004 10:44 PM

I have the APC eurotails on my wifes sedan. They were only $117 and two years ago they didn't have good ones like TYC. The only reason I got those APC's was that they were manufactured for Ford Racing and thats molded into the taillight.

I did just get new uncut colored translucent keys from some locksmith in NC. A red one and a blue one. having two foci gets a little confusing in the key and remote dept. ACE hardware cut them and I programed them myself. They work perfectly !

maul 03-07-2004 11:49 PM

i dont know if i would trust a $10 strut bar to last.

neojen 03-07-2004 11:59 PM

I have an ebay short air intake on my spi.. fits perfect and works great.. actually made gains in performance.. for like 35 dollars!.. i also have a universal muffler off of ebay, like 30 dollars.. then took it to a muffler shop and got it made into a cat back for 120.. so I like ebay, but I dont trust some of the parts that are just too cheap..

focaltech 03-08-2004 12:02 AM

The people selling that garbage are really hurting you, the buyer in more ways than you know.

First off, the biggest problem is that they are, as you said, knock offs. Cheaper than original parts. These damn companies don't have to do any R&D etc, because the big name companies have already done it. These ebay sellers are selling crap they made, copied from another manufacturers brand name item. So in stealing someone elses design they can save because they are just copying it.

Example SS autochrome, I had always heard they buy factory rejects and cheaply chrome them up to make them look nice. THEY ARE TRASH! I saw one yesterday that was on for 6 months, its welds are cracked and leaking and the chrome finish is chipped off showing an unpainted header underneath.

Example Bomz and other no name CAI setups. They simply buy an AEM CAI and copy it then sell it cheaply. But then they break, because in not doing R&D they miss flaws the other manufacturer finds.

Second, When folks buy all this crap and put it on their car, they aren't buying parts from companies with respected names. This hurts because if the manuacturer doesn't sell parts it will not make new parts. For example, shitty short shifters. Maybe ford racing sees their shifters not selling. So now they decide to stop making them entirely. Oooops now the shitty copiers have nothing to copy! We the consumer now cannot buy a part because its no longer made.

If you are so poor you cannot afford a part then save your money.

I do not respect folks who would rather buy cheap no name shitty parts than folks who actually buy parts from companies we want to do buisness with.

Elementa 03-08-2004 12:07 AM

damn straight ;)

ALL_MOTOR_ZETEC 03-08-2004 12:08 AM

Very well put Focal [thumb] I agree with that 100% Stop buying cheap parts, if you want something, save your money. If you don't have the patience and time to save up your money then don't buy anything.

EuroZX3 03-08-2004 12:36 AM

yup i was just thinking about that the other day focal. i hate the copy cats with a passion.

and btw, the only reason they have the high feedback rating is because people leave the feedback right when they get it, not 6 months to a year down the road when it messes up their car. id hate to know the micron rating on that APC intake you put on. remember, cant spell CRAP without APC.

if your tight on money, buy used, not cheap.

focaltech 03-08-2004 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by EuroZX3
yup i was just thinking about that the other day focal. i hate the copy cats with a passion.

and btw, the only reason they have the high feedback rating is because people leave the feedback right when they get it, not 6 months to a year down the road when it messes up their car. id hate to know the micron rating on that APC intake you put on. remember, cant spell CRAP without APC.

if your tight on money, buy used, not cheap.

100% correct.