Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   SPI Performance (2000-2004) (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Shifting an auto? (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=84076)

TCFoCuS 05-04-2006 07:38 AM

Shifting an auto?

ok i got a 4-speed auto and you know how they got the lower gears 1 and 2? well (lol) i speed shift like i put it down in 1 and shift at 30-~40 mph to 2 and 55-~65 mph in to drive...i have race it both ways against a v6 sebring and was a car length way from the car when i was speed and about 2 car lengths away when i wasn't. the only problem is that i heard that when you speed shift it hurts the transmission is that true?[?]

crazy_urn 05-04-2006 11:54 AM

that is how i destroyed the transmission in my moms truck when i was 16.....

it will do excessive harm to your tranny, and it will not be very happy with you.

if you really want to improve your shifting, put in a chip, it can change the programmed shift points for better acceleration....

MattZX3 05-04-2006 12:00 PM

well... "speed-shifting" and auto is like shifting gears in a manual... without using a clutch(sorta)

SVT_BMXer 05-04-2006 12:04 PM

if you want to shift you should have bought a manual. I found that out $600 and a new transmition later on my neon.

SkyPilot 05-04-2006 12:16 PM

yeah not good thoses gears are there for if your towing something and going up a hill in which case you turn off your o/d b4 you use those gears, not good for racing or even just regular driving

TCFoCuS 05-04-2006 12:32 PM

ok but thats thing i have beaten ppl by doing that...also how much would it cost total to get a tranny put in...and no i dont want to trade in my car...i shopped around at junk yards and they were asking between $500-1000 for a decent tranny...thnx 4 ur input keep it up[:D]

MattZX3 05-04-2006 03:50 PM

which is more important.. beating people.. or breaking the trans? No offense dude, but its an spi motor... i cant imagine anything being slower than what i have... think about this.. instead of having a new trans put in.. get an ecu tune done.. this way it shifts..SAFELY... without screwing with the trans.. although.. from your last post.. you make it sound like the trans is already gone on it... what were you looking at junkyards for a trans for?

MattZX3 05-04-2006 03:52 PM

im curious too.. what kinds of cars have you beaten?

crazy_urn 05-04-2006 03:55 PM

if you are looking at a swap for a manual tranny, it takes more then just bolting up the new transmission....

i am not sure on all the specifics, but you are looking at new ECU, axle, mounts, compression lines, new pedals, shifting linkage, master and slave cylinder.

I am not sure if v6focus is still doing this, but he apperantly used to sell a SPI auto to zetec manual swap kit. it sold for $2000. he runs this website: linky link

if you want to make this worth your while, you better have a good friend who is a very good mechanic or quite a bit of money to spend on labor....

or you could just buy the SCT chip for like 300 or so from focus sport and call it good. that will improve your shift points, optimize fueling and ignition timing, change the rev limiter, and raise the governer, and some other cool stuff. check it out here

focusin 05-04-2006 04:10 PM

I had a 4spd SPI and trust me you are no faster shifting it than you are in drive.

The SCT will do exactly what you need it to do. I had tunes from Randy (focussport) and Wayne (hypillauto).

I liked Waynes he did alot for the SPI and the shifting was alot firmer aswell.