Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   SVT Performance (2002-2004) (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Need Hood Insulation (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=81501)

NCFazer 04-11-2006 09:50 PM

Need Hood Insulation

I've only had my SVTf a few weeks and today I discovered that the insulation under the hood is semi saturated with oil. I am guessing that the previous owner may have left the oil filler cap off at some time. I hope no damage was done and that it wasn't caused by something more serious. Everything seems fine though and I'm not going to worry about it too much right now , but I would like to find some replacement insulation. Any ideas as to where to find generic insulation or perhaps used insulation?

Will hood insulation from a non SVT Focus fit?? If so, I can check the local junk yards, but they will probably want to sell me the whole hood.

NCFaZER

LastRites 04-11-2006 10:10 PM

Damn, I would give you mine if you lived closer [:(]

Scott_SVT 04-11-2006 10:11 PM

the under hood liner will fit from any focus, all the hoods interchange. I'd bet there's a few guys on this forum that have one laying around, since anyone with a CF hood won't have any need for their stock liner.

NCFazer 04-11-2006 11:23 PM

I would just remove the old insulation if I knew that my hood wouldn't get too hot and tarnish my paint or something.

ncfazer

Moe-van1 04-12-2006 12:31 AM

just take it off.... Its not going to harm anything...

I know guys that have been running it for years now and its plenty fine.. Ford stopped putting them on cars around 2002 due to fires

Darth Focus 04-12-2006 12:59 AM

I thought they were made to smother fires??

Moe-van1 04-12-2006 01:31 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Darth Focus
I thought they were made to smother fires??
they were... but, they actually caught fire for some odd reason... I'll try and find the info but, its been awhile...

I recall back in 2003 when I had my sedan I'd see post about folks and there foci getting burned to shit b/c of engine fires

LastRites 04-12-2006 06:12 AM

Quote:

Ford stopped putting them on cars around 2002 due to fires
I have an 04' that came with one, but like you mentioned just take it off.

NCFazer 04-12-2006 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Moe-van1
just take it off.... Its not going to harm anything...

I know guys that have been running it for years now and its plenty fine.. Ford stopped putting them on cars around 2002 due to fires

They probably caught fire because they were soaked with oil like mine.

I like the idea of taking it off, maybe the engine sound will increase some.

I certainly hope the paint will take the added heat.

Thanks,
NCfazer

LastRites 04-12-2006 08:14 AM

The sound improves quite a bit, my SRI & TB combo reminds me of a mini-BOV, lol. As for the paint, mine is holding up fine however I haven't ran like this in summers heat. Drawdown is that if yours is like mine the underside of the hood is just primer where the insulation used to be.