Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Road Racing & Rally (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   nasa at summit point (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7988)

garyk 02-27-2004 02:15 PM

nasa at summit point

at nasa' may event quite a few foci will be out.its 5/21,22,23. its a race/hpde(high performance driving experience) wekend. four run groups from novice to race. five or six of the foci who ran vir together last nov. will be there. come on out. if you dont want to run, its free to get in.

viney266 02-27-2004 05:10 PM

I'll ask this for others as well, What do we need to run, and what car prep do we need to do to go out on the track.

viney266 02-27-2004 05:19 PM

I have a good friend who thinks he knows you, Bill Menges, I guy I have raced bikes with for years. He remembers you from the racer store, he says he is the guy that was friends with Terry and Denny, the tire guys, he remembers you having a step van with a small boat on top, and he said you would go up to Watkins and boat early before the race. The guy he remembers would be about 50 or so ( you are 52), Is that you he remembers???

Would have pm'd you, but that mailbox is full again

garyk 02-27-2004 05:24 PM

needed

any car can do it. a snell 95 or newer helmet is needed. there are usually plenty of loaners. i carry at least 2. cars need to go through a simple tech (can be downloaded from site-www.nasaracing.net) its obvious stuff. lug nuts tight?no leaking fluids, all movable objects removed from interior, etc. if there were enough interest i would be happy to do a "pretech" somewhere in central md. your shop? i have done race tech for emra and have a good idea what is needed. street tires are fine. in fact the less prepared a car is can be a good thing. then you get a feel for the track with a baseline. and when i say anything can go-i have seen lightning trucks,ss impalas and even an old rabbit convertible. if you run a convertible though, a roll bar is required. all it really takes is common sense and a desire to have the time of your life. and if not running, come out and join us. we are planning to have a major party sat night ala vir last november. as always-ridealongs welcome. god i am such a track whore- i want toget people hooked, like your local friendly crack dealer. keep in mind tho-track time is much more addictive.

garyk 02-27-2004 05:43 PM

twasnt me

my barge weighs 10 tons and is about 40 feet long. no can tow. ill fix that damn box now.

viney266 02-27-2004 06:16 PM

I think cyber-pimp would be a better title. I am the same way, its great to get people hooked, thats what I'm afraid of..lol

Lil_RedZX3 02-28-2004 01:25 AM

How much does it cost to run?? It can't be free can it?

garyk 02-28-2004 09:07 AM

cost

you would need to join nasa,35 bucks-that includes a years subscription to grassroots motorsports. i run for free in exchange for instructing, but for non instructors its usually about 275 for the weekend. if that sounds expensive let me say that test days at summit (no instruction or classes) runs 195 for a day of 5 20 minute sessions.

turbo989 02-29-2004 06:42 PM

that is some crazy stuff to go running on a track....why does it cost that much? Maintaince fees for the road?

Lil_RedZX3 02-29-2004 08:25 PM

That's way too expensive for me! I would like to go and watch a race sometime though.