Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   ZETEC Performance (2000-2004) (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   how to get svt performance out of a zetec? (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=78030)

chad_p71 03-13-2006 10:39 PM

how to get svt performance out of a zetec?

I have a 2000 zx3. I have read a little bit about the SVT motor, I know there are allot of differences but Im not sure what they are exacty, I know its loosely based on the zetec motor, i know it has 170hp compared to my crappy 130hp. I did a search and didnt come up with anything, I would appreciate it if someone could shoot me a link about the SVT focus motor.

So I was wondering how would I be able to get SVT performance out of my zetec motor? New cams, ported head (maybe bigger valves??), timing and a good exhaust system, would that do it?

I know about cold air kits, and underdrive pulleys, tuneable cam gears, forced induction blah, blah, blah. That stuff it all nice but the engineers at Ford were able to make 170 horse power with out any of that stuff and I am very curious as to how they did it. They also kept the car driveable with good mileage and also reliable at the same time. My goal is to attempt to do the same.[8]

crazymechanic 03-13-2006 10:48 PM

ford increased the compression on the svt with different pistons, used forged connecting rods to enable to engine to better withstand the higher rpm range, installed oil jets to spray the underside of the piston for piston cooling and cylinder wall lubrication. they used a better flowing cylinder head with variable intake cam timing, a two stage variable runner length intake manifold, and a tuned 4-2-1 exhaust header and more aggressive camshafts. to get svt-like performance (at least as far as hp/tq numbers go), try these mods out...

port/polished and milled head with stage 2 or 3 cams (depends on the manufacturer which stage you'll need)
adjustable cam gears
ported 2000 manifold
65mm throttle body
SVT header kit
catback exhaust
cold air or short ram intake
tune

that ought to get you up in the svt range, maybe a bit higher. I haven't been following the standard zetec buildups very well, but that seems to me the way to go

lanting90 03-13-2006 11:49 PM

u should be able to keep, if not beat a stock svt w/ all those bolt-ons minus teh head/cams..remember, in a drag race, the MTX-75 tranny is quicker than the SVTs Getrag...w/ teh head work+cams, u'll have no problem w/ svts w/ minor mods, and should be in teh mid 14s..

venomfocus 03-14-2006 05:42 AM

you would kill svts with those mods. i never had a problem even with modded svts.

dwdgsi03 03-14-2006 06:17 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by venomfocus
you would kill svts with those mods. i never had a problem even with modded svts.

You wouldn't "kill" an SVT with those mods. You'd pull a bit at the most.

Let's not turn this into another one of those pissing contests.

focus---R 03-14-2006 06:41 AM

I know someone with an svt swap and I took him.

Toolman00 03-14-2006 08:33 AM

I'm not sure what lanting90 has for mods (I'm almost positive he doesn't have cams), but I matched up with him. My SVT has a few go-fast goodies. It's probably an unfair comparison because I had winter tires on at the time, but from a stop he clearly had the advantage. Once up to speed, I had the advantage. Nobody was "killing" anybody, but he pulled away quicker off the line and I was pulling when I was in 3rd - perhaps the rear tires that were installed backwards (directional tread) on lantings car helped him on the launch and hurt him at speed (you fix that btw?). It was all done in fun anyways. I know my car isn't the fastest. If I wanted a fun car, I'd find an inexpensive ZX3, gut the interior (remove back seat at least) and do a V8 conversion... probably should have went that route... be about the same price as my SVT with the goodies (what I'm looking at doing at least).

Overall, the SVT engine is good stock and doesn't really respond to aftermarket mods well - tune excluded. The exhaust is pretty good and the only thing I'd swap out is the cat. Those are probably the only power mods needed if you want to stay N/A (well, cams and cam gears would be nice, but they are more difficult to install). I regret not saving my money and getting forced induction right away, but I wanted more power (why else would I be called the Toolman?) and came across some sweet deals on used parts.

Next mod will be a Binford 3000 leaf blower - aka electric supercharger. [;)] [joke]

jaykirs 03-14-2006 08:52 AM

^^^ Oh yeah? Well I'll get the Binford 4000 and my SVTF will put your SVTF to shame. [;)] [:o)]

FocusRyderzx3 03-14-2006 12:17 PM

heres your solution, take your ZX3 to your local ford dealer that has an SVT for sale and just trade it in. Yea the SVT has more horse power the the ZX3, but you really dont need alot to get to SVT numbers, i belive that the SVT has around 120whp (i could be wrong) a buddy of mine has an SVT stock, and i have a ZX3 w/ an CAI, MBRP, and an FS tune. i have 112 WHP and 119WTQ. In a race on the strip he obviously beat me but not by much. so i dont think it takes all that much to have SVT number

ouikikazz 03-14-2006 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by FocusRyderzx3
heres your solution, take your ZX3 to your local ford dealer that has an SVT for sale and just trade it in. Yea the SVT has more horse power the the ZX3, but you really dont need alot to get to SVT numbers, i belive that the SVT has around 120whp (i could be wrong) a buddy of mine has an SVT stock, and i have a ZX3 w/ an CAI, MBRP, and an FS tune. i have 112 WHP and 119WTQ. In a race on the strip he obviously beat me but not by much. so i dont think it takes all that much to have SVT number
svt has approx 145-155whp (it varies from car to car). The wtq numbers i totally forget tho.